|Green Bay Professional Packet Radio
|SCIENTIA EST POTENTIA|
Green Bay Professional Packet Radio (GBPPR) is our attempt at an advanced amateur radio and electronics research team.
Based in Green Bay, Wisconsin, we have banded together several small groups of the world's most specialized hackers who strive for the advancement of technology in order to help all of mankind.
Each group specializes in a certain task or skill, pushing the very edges of science and technology as we know it.
GBPPR Working Groups
- GBPPR Radiation Laboratory (GRL): Investigates and uses the sciences of electrodynamics and electromagnetic field theory, while innovating the HP way.
- Advanced Development Projects (ADP): Cutting-edge, high-tech, open-source hardware and software projects. Making the impossible, possible... maybe.
- Tailored Access Operations (TAO): Consists of a small band of highly-motivated, undocumented telecommunication and computer network exploration enthusiasts whom specialize in the extraction of data from denied-access targets.
- Special Collection Service (SCS): Clandestine interception and monitoring of intelligence over the known ranges of optical, radio, and acoustic wavelengths.
- Special Operations Groups (SOG): Undocumented research and information gathering team utilizing advanced non-destructive entry methods. Also capable of performing covert, artificially-induced term limits and impeachments.
- Total Information Awareness (TIA): Collects, scans, records, documents, and releases as much technical information (past & present) as possible.
- Advanced Weapons Engineering (AWE): Designing and building advanced electronic, electrodynamic and psychotronic weapons for our future militias.
- Applied Physics Laboratory (APL): Educating the public and making your homework easier, performing unlicensed nuclear accelerator experiments, and operating the Small Fermion Collider.
- Pulsed-Power Group (PPG): High-voltage pulse, electromagnetic pulse, and high-power RF experiments.
- Missiles and Aerospace Systems (MAS): Unmanned aerial vehicles, advanced aerospace threat monitoring (and making!), both identified and unidentified flying object research, and deploying really, really low-Earth orbit objects.
- Technical Assistance Program (TAP): 24-hour Scientific Services and Answer Center.
"They can do all because they think they can." - Virgil, Aeneid
Operational support branches also include media releases via the GBPPR Vision series of videos on YouTube, our own technical journal GBPPR 'Zine in electronic media (PDF) format, and even an occasional low-power FM radio broadcast.
Amateur Radio Projects
- Low-Cost Wireless Network How-To
- Extremely detailed account of a Part 97 point-to-point 2.4 GHz wireless link.
Using Part 15 Wireless Ethernet Devices for Amateur Radio
- Hints, tips and rules for using off-the-shelf hardware for amateur radio Part 97 operations.
KB9MWR Projects Page
- Ongoing local amateur radio projects.
Mirror of the Guerrilla.net Website
- Mirror site of the Guerrilla.net L0pht spin-off project. Few minor broken links.
Low-Cost POCSAG Paging Network How-To
- Homebrew your own amateur radio text or tone paging system.
Low-Cost Laser Data Links
- Quit shining laser pointers at people and use them for something useful.
Homebrew RF Design Test Equipment & Software
- Simple and useful tools for the RF experimenter.
Homebrew Bi-Directional 2.4 GHz Amplifier Designs
- Make your own amplifier for your 2.4 GHz wireless network.
Homebrew Bi-Directional 915 MHz Amplifier Designs
- Make your own high-power amplifier for your 900 MHz wireless network.
Homebrew 1 Watt 2.4 GHz Power Amplifier
- Increase the RF output power of your wireless network card to 1 Watt.
Homebrew 144 MHz to 2.4 GHz Transverter
- Scan and monitor the 2.4 GHz band using a common MMDS downconverter.
GBPPR Frequency Transverters for 2.4 GHz Wireless LAN Devices
- Change the frequency of your amateur radio 2.4 GHz network to overcome interference or line-of-sight issues.
Family Radio Service (FRS) to 900 MHz Transverter
- I was really bored. (Unfinished)
GBPPR 2.4 GHz / 10 Mbit Wireless Data Link
- Why buy a wireless network card when you can tear your hair out trying to build one?
GBPPR 900 MHz High-Speed Packet Radio
- Experimental ideas for a high-speed, interference overcoming wireless data link.
GBPPR 1 GHz RF Spectrum Analyzer
- Homebrew the most useful tool for a RF experimenter, work in progress.
Constructing Scotty Sprowls' 1 GHz RF Spectrum Analyzer
- This is a series of notes and videos on constructing the 1 GHz RF spectrum analyzer project by Scotty Sprowls.
Tracking Generator for a HP8569 Spectrum Analyzer
- Construction overview of a low-cost tracking generator for a HP8569-series spectrum analyzer.
Dataradio Gemini G3 UHF Radio Modem Experiments
- Information and experimental ideas for the Dataradio Gemini G3 UHF radio modem.
GBPPR 1 kHz to 16.384 MHz Synthesized Signal Generator
- Simple PLL signal generator for the test bench using a common Maxim IC.
GBPPR Divide-by-1000 3.5 GHz Prescaler
- Extend the frequency range on those cheap hamfest frequency counters.
- 13 GHz Frequency Counter Prescaler
GBPPR Packet Radio Weather Radio Alert
- Use the National Weather Service's alert tone to send a packet radio message.
GBPPR 900 MHz Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum Transverter
- Frequency hopping transverter for amateur radio use.
GBPPR 1.2 GHz (23 cm) Amateur Video Transmitter
- Simple 1.2 GHz FM ATV exciter.
Converting Cellular Phones to 900 MHz
- Use old Motorola cellular phones as IF rigs in a 900 MHz transmitter.
Simple 2.4 GHz SWR Meter
- Simple way to tune wireless LAN antennas using an oscilloscope.
Linux FRS Radio Control
- Easily control a FRS/GMRS radio from a computer.
Return Loss Bridge for the Radio Amateur
- Device to quickly check the integrity of a radio antenna system.
Using the MC145158 PLL Frequency Synthesizer
- Simple overview and source code for the Motorola MC145158.
AeroComm CL4490 Experiments
- Wireless data networking experiments using AeroComm modules and data modems.
Metricom Ricochet Radio Experimentation
- Experiments using components from old Metricom 900 MHz and 2.4 GHz RF data modems.
100 Watt RF Power Amplifier for 2 GHz
- Turn an old 1.9 GHz PCS cellular phone basestation into a RF power amplifier.
Qualcomm OmniTRACS Experiments
- Using Qualcomm OmniTRACS fleet tracking satellite systems for amateur radio applications.
General Electric GEMLINK Information
- Overview of a General Electric GEMLINK K-band video transmitter.
Motorola STF2520A 900 MHz Power Amplifier Modifications
- Modifying a surplus Motorola STF2520A cellular-band RF amplifier for 150 watts in the 900 MHz ham band.
73 Magazine Information
- An attempt at a complete back issue and index listing for 73 Magazine.
- Popular Electronics Magazine & Electronic Experimenter's Handbook
Doodle Labs DL435-30 420-450 MHz OFDM Transceiver Experiments
- Experimenting with high-speec data in the 440 MHz ham band.
GBPPR VLF Converter
- Homebrew version Marty Kaiser's VLF59-10 5 to 500 kHz VLF converter.
HP4328A Milliohmmeter Overview & Probe Construction
- General overview of the HP4328A operation and how to make your own Kelvin bridge probes.
- GBPPR Projects
- Other stuff you can blame us for.
GBPPR Homebrew Military & Espionage Electronics
- Electronic projects for professional adventurers, independent contractors, and undocumented border patrol agents.
Brown County, Wisconsin Frequency Search
- Frequency search of local frequencies, PL-tones, DTMF codes, repeater offsets, notes, etc.
Green Bay Police Radio IDs
- Detailed information on the local public service trunked radio system.
- Illegal Activity by the Green Bay Police
Test Equipment Manuals
- Small collection of old test equipment operating and service manuals.
Radio Scanner Modifications and Information
- Random collection of notes, schematics, software, etc. for common scanning receivers.
Local Terrain & RF Plots
- Elevation Plot for Green Bay, Wisconsin and the Surrounding Area
- Lowest elevation is 174 meters, highest is 274 meters. Plot is 22.5 km square and the contour lines are at 10 meter intervals.
Zoomed Out Elevation Plot for Green Bay, Wisconsin and the Surrounding Area
- Lowest elevation is 176 meters, highest is 300 meters. Plot is 50 km square and the contour lines are at 10 meter intervals.
Elevation Plot for the Northeast Wisconsin Area
- Lowest elevation is 176 meters, highest is 340 meters. Plot is 100 km square and the contour lines are at 10 meter intervals.
Larger Elevation Plot for the Northeast Wisconsin Area
- Lowest elevation is 176 meters, highest is 579 meters. Plot is 250 km square and the contour lines are at 10 meter intervals.
Interactive Wireless / RF Design Utilities
- Wireless Network Link Analysis
- Calculates approximate received power levels and fade margins for microwave wireless links.
Wireless Network Link Analysis - Super Edition
- Same as above, but generates a PDF file containing Fresnel zone and radio path graphs.
Microwave Radio Path Analysis
- Generates a terrain profile graph and obstruction reports for a microwave radio link between two points.
Line-of-Sight Path Analysis
- Generates a JPEG image showing the line-of-sight path for a given transmitter location.
Longley-Rice Path Loss Analysis
- Generates a JPEG image showing the estimated Longley-Rice path loss for a given transmitter location.
Fresnel Zone Calculator
- Calculates and graphs the required Fresnel zone clearances for a point-to-point link.
United States Elevation Retriever
- Get the ground elevation at (almost) any location in the continental United States.
3D Local Ground Elevation Map
- Get a graphic 3D representation of the local ground elevations surrounding a transmitter site.
Parabolic Reflector Gain and Focal Point Calculator
- Calculates the gain, focal point, and radiation distances for parabolic dishes.
Urban Area Path Loss
- Calculates the approximate path loss through an urban area.
Antenna Up/Down Tilt Calculator
- Calculates the required antenna tilt to compensate for Earth curvature.
Distance & Bearing Calculator
- Calculates the distance and bearing between two geographic points.
Omnidirectional Antenna Beamwidth Analysis
- Estimates the coverage of a vertical antenna pattern.
Return Loss Calculator
- Calculates return loss given forward/reverse power or SWR.
Knife Edge Diffraction Loss Calculator
- Calculates knife edge obstruction attenuation.
Decibel Conversion Calculator
- Converts various values referenced to/from decibels.
Scattering Parameters Are Fun!
- Calculates gamma in/out from S-parameters, experimental.
Lumped Component Wilkinson Splitter / Combiner Designer
- Design Wilkinson splitters/combiners for use under 400 MHz.
Pi & Tee Network Resistive Attenuation Calculator
- Design resistive attenuators.
United States Frequency Allocations 30 - 3000 MHz
- Retrieve the FCC band allocation for any frequency.
Voltage to Power Conversion Calculator
- Convert AC voltages to power.
RF Safety Compliance Calculator
- Determines if your ERP will kill people.
Approximate Air Coil Inductance Calculator
- Calculates the approximate value of an air coil inductor.
Microstripline Analysis & Design
- Calculates the required width for making microstrip transmission lines.
Calculating Phase Line Length
- Calculates coaxial phase line lengths.
3-Pole Butterworth Characteristic Bandpass Filter Calculator
- Designs simple 3-pole bandpass filters.
RF Pi Network Designer
- Designs Pi-type networks for transforming impedances.
PLL 3rd Order Passive Loop Filter Calculator
- Designs passive loop filters for phase lock loops.
Antenna Isolation Calculator
- Calculates isolation for horizontal & vertical antennas.
Mixer IMD Calculator
- Calculates potential IMD products in subtractive mode mixers.
GBPPR Microwave Radio Path Analysis Tools
A Perl CGI program to graphically show the radio path profile between two points. It will plot the 0.6 Fresnel zone and the true radio path for a given value of K (the effective Earth radius factor). This is all displayed in reference to the path's elevation data taken at intervals along the link path. This will let you see if you have a clear radio line-of-sight path. Currently, the elevation data is only available for most of North America. It is also extremely CPU intensive, so please be patient for the output PDF file to complete, or try again at a different time.
- Microwave Radio Path Analysis
- Line-of-Sight Path Analysis
- Longley-Rice Path Loss Analysis
- 3D Local Ground Elevation Map
All the plotting utilities are based around a slightly modified version of the SPLAT! program by KD2BD.
GBPPR Microwave Radio Path Analysis Tools Source code for the above scripts. (758k Gzipped TAR)
RF and Microwave Communications Research Links
- Maxwell's Equations This site aims to teach James Maxwell's equations in as simple and intuitive a manner as possible.
- High-Speed CSMA Digital Networking for HF
- The Utah T1-Rate Modem
- Weak Signal Communications by K1JT. A software package designed for amateur weak-signal radio communication at VHF
- Microstrip Patch Rectenna With High Output Voltage
- High-Speed Networking Project
- Higher Speeds with the G3RUH 9600 Baud Packet Radio Modem
- The KD2BD 9600 Baud Modem
- 23cm High-Speed Link Receiver from F1BIU
- 23cm Wide-Band FM Data-Transceiver
- KE5FX's Homebrew 10 Mbit, 10 GHz Wireless Ethernet Project (Notes)
- N6GN's Higher Speed Packet Web Pages
- DIY 10Mbps Optical Data Link
- DUAL - A Packet Format for a New Amateur Radio Link Layer
- The W1GHZ Online Microwave Antenna Book
- Papers by Hari Balakrishnan Wireless TCP/IP god.
- Antenna Visualization
- Electrical Engineering Training Series
- Online Lectures about Digital Communication
- XTP Overview Alternative transport protocol.
- Communication Devices Using Ultra-Wideband, Nonsinusoidal Communication Technology Cool stuff.
- Unofficial NEC Archive Antenna modeling software.
- Decentralized Channel Management in Scalable Multihop Spread-Spectrum Packet Radio Networks (780k PDF)
- A Channel Access Scheme for Large Dense Packet Radio Networks (350k PDF)
- Design and Implemenation of a Wire Array Antenna Analyzer (150k PDF)
- High Power, Broadband, Linear, Solid-State Amplifier Design
- SIGSALY Secure Digital Voice Communications in World War II
- Slot Antenna Design by Stephen Bell, KB7TRZ
- A Transmission Line Calculator, Version 0.3 by Kevin Schmidt, W9CF
- Some Skin Effect Notes
- Lots of Good Weak Signal RF Links
- Temporary Telecommunications Infrastructure in Lower Manhattan
- SP-419 SETI: The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence
- Low-Cost, Long-Range Wireless Network How-To
- Low-Cost 2.4 GHz Digital Communications
- Chris's Wireless High-Speed Connect
- BAWUG - Outdoor Access Point Encloseure v1
- Notes on G-Lines (Goubau Transmission Lines)
- Spread Spectrum - It's Not Just for Breakfast Anymore! by Harold E. Price, NK6K (PDF)
RF/Electronics Design Notes & Links
- YIG Oscillator and Filter Notes
- KA7OEI Microwave Page
- W6PQL Projects Page&nbnsp; Offers kits for his projects.
- N5DUX Ham Radio PDFs
- Greek Microwave Group The Greek Microwave Group is a recently established group of telecommunication engineers and radio amateurs who are interested in the area of microwaves.
- Microwave Group of San Diego Technical Articles and Projects
- Rob Frohne's Class Notes
- PUFF on Linux PUFF - Computer Aided Design for Microwave Integrated Circuits for DOS/Linux
- Avago AppCAD Version 4.0.0 The Application Engineering staff of the Microwave Semiconductor Division of Hewlett-Packard created AppCAD as a design help for RF and microwave designers.
- Hewlett-Packard Semiconductor Cross Reference
- Remembering Bob Pease Collection of Bob Pease analog circuti design articles.
- The PIN Diode Circuit Designers Handbook (1.3M PDF)
- Microsemi UM9601 PIN Diode Datasheet (470k PDF)
- Applications of PIN Diodes HP Application Note 922 (258k PDF)
- Fast Switching PIN Diodes HP Application Note 929 (92k PDF)
- Applications for the HSMP-3890 Surface Mount Switching PIN Diode HP Application Note 1072 (70k PDF)
- Intersil HFA3925 2.4 GHz Power Amplifier Contains a good TX/RX switching idea (99k PDF)
- Mitsubishi Hybrid RF Power Amplifier Modules
- Scattering Parameters
- WA1RHP's Electronic Parts Inventory Parts intended to support ham radio and electronic students
- Smith Chart Tools
- American Technical Ceramics (ATC) Technical Notes
- Analog Computer Basics
- Radio Propagation Models
- General Soldering Information
- Desoldering THM and SMT
- Surface Mount Technology (SMT) Terminology
- Dielectric Constants of Commercial PCB Material
- Finesse Voltage Regulator Noise!
- Texas Instruments Technical Brief SWRA029 - Fractional / Integer-N PLL Basics (6M PDF)
- Passive Repeaters in Wireless Data link Usage From Microflect
- VHF Narrowband FM Receiver Design Using the MC3362 and the MC3363 Dual Conversion Receivers Motorola AN980 - Contains a good PLL loop filter overview for the MC14515x-series. (630k PDF)
- Watkins-Johnson Tech-Notes Bi-monthly technical publication of Watkins-Johnson Company from 1974 through 1991.
- HPRFhelp v2.12 Welcome to HPRFhelp, Agilent Technologies' RF and microwave semiconductor knowledge base and smart selection guide!
- Philips RF Semiconductor Application Notes
- Magnetic Properties of Ferrite Core Materials
- The Secret Life of Pots
- Hardware/Software Interface Description for PRISM Radio Design Intersil Application Note AN9617 (70k PDF)
- PRISM1KIT-EVAL DSSS PC Card Wireless LAN Description Intersil Application Note AN9624 (140k PDF)
- Processing Gain for DSSS Communication Systems and PRISM Intersil Application Note AN9633 (32k PDF)
- Tutorial on Basic Link Budget Analysis Intersil Application Note AN9804 (81k PDF)
- 2.4 GHz Direct Sequence Wireless LAN Cascade Analysis Intersil Application Note AN9810 (71k PDF)
- Filters in the PRISM Radio Reference Design Intersil Application Note AN9817 (80k PDF)
- A Condensed Review of Spread Spectrum Techniques for ISM Band Systems Intersil Application Note AN9820 (164k PDF)
- Brief Tutorial on IEEE 802.11 Wireless LANs Intersil Application Note AN9829 (72k PDF)
- HWB3163-EVAL PRISM II 11 Mbps PCMCIA Wireless LAN Evaluation Kit User's Guide Intersil Application Note AN9864 (396k PDF)
- Obtaining the Best PRISM II Chip Set Receiver Sensitivity Intersil Application Note AN9902 (23k PDF)
- Measurement of WLAN Receiver Sensitivity Intersil Technical Bulletin TB382 (28k PDF)
- A Brief Tutorial on Spread Spectrum and Packet Radio Intersil Technical Bulletin TB337 (58k PDF)
- Using the PRISM Chip Set for Timing Measurements Intersil Technical Bulletin TB338 (20k PDF)
- XMIT_ID Version 2.61 Richard Rager's (KB8RLN), DOS program to "fingerprint" radios.
- Icom D-STAR ID-1 Evaluation by KC0ARF, KB9MWR, KB9AMM, and N9PAV. (Notes)
- Wisconsin Amateur Packet Radio Association
- MotoTRBO Out-of-Band Modification for 900 MHz Radios
- GaAsFET Pre-Amplifier Cookbook #3 by Kent Britain, WA5VJB (2M PDF)
- MAX260 Filter Design Software Microprocessor programmable filter design software (MS-DOS) for the Maxim MAX260/MAX261/MAX262. (190k ZIP)
- MAX274 Filter Design Software Filter design software (MS-DOS) for the Maxim MAX274. (498k ZIP)
- A Discussion of Antenna Theory by Paul Graham, K9ERG (One of the better antenna explainations out there)
- PolyPhaser Technical Information Trust these people
- Directive Gain, Salesmanship and Ham Radio! How to determine the real gain of an antenna
- The Perils of Cheap Hamfest RF Adapters More proof to avoid cheap hamfest connectors like the plague
- The UHF Type Connector Under Network Analysis RF network analysis of a PL-259/SO-239 connection
- Electrochemical Potential Chart
- Conductivity and Dielectric Constants for Common Types of Earth Parameters for use in Radio Mobile Deluxe
- Applying Modern Communication Technologies to Weak Signal Amateur Operations Very good overview on using 1980's technology and math equations from 1948 to improve weak signal performance in the 21st century. (657k PDF)
- Ufer Ground System Grounding rods in concrete
- Motorola Semiconductor Circuits Manual (1964) (5.6M PDF)
- Motorola Semiconductor Power Circuits Handbook (1968) (7.4M PDF)
- RCA Receiving Tube Manual Technical Series RC-14 (1940) (13.7M PDF) (Meissner Coil Pinouts)
GBPPR Technical Bulletins
- Waterproofing RF Connectors
- Advantages of Circular Polarized FM Repeater Antennas
- Why Silver Plate RF Components?
- How to Choose Inductors at RF
- Receiver Noise, Sensitivity and Dynamic Range Relationships
- Transmitter Site Rules
- How to Make RF Cables
- Nuclear Electromagnetic Pulse (NEMP) Survival
- Communication Channel Capacity
Various Amateur Radio Technical Papers
- Toward New Link-Layer Protocols for Amateur Packet Radio by Phil Karn, KA9Q (Slides & Notes)
- Amateur Spread Spectrum Rule Recommendations by Phil Karn, KA9Q
- Ideas for HF Modulation and Coding by Phil Karn, KA9Q
- Proposed Coded AO-40 Telemetry Format by Phil Karn, KA9Q
- Amateur Radio, Wireless Networks and the Information Age by Glenn Elmore, N6GN
- Physical Layer Considerations in Building a High-Speed Amateur Radio Network by Glenn Elmore, N6GN
- A Technological Rationale to Use Higher Wireless Frequencies by J.M. Vanderau, R.J. Matheson, and E.J. Haakinson (807k PDF)
- A Mathematical Theory of Communication by Claude E. Shannon (1948) (322k PDF) (Channel Capacity vs. Signal-to-Noise Ratio) (IEEE Profile)
- A Method of Reducing Disturbances in Radio Signaling by a System of Frequency Modulation by Edwin H. Armstrong (2.1M PDF)
- An Overview of the Application of CDMA to Digital Cellular Systems and Personal Cellular Networks by Qualcomm (1M PDF)
- Shannon, Coding and the Radio Amateur by James R. Miller, G3RUH
- The Shape of Bits to Come by James R. Miller, G3RUH
- Take the Next Step with the Next Generation Protocol by Naoto Shimazaki
- TAPR Packet Status Register Archives Attempting to put all the TAPR Packet Status Register issues in one place.
Various TAPR Digital Communications Conference Speeches
- TAPR FHSS Radio Update - 2001 by John Ackermann, N8UR (2.1M MP3)
- Spread Spectrum in the Amateur Radio Service: Current Status and Historical Notes by Dewayne Hendricks, WA8DZP and Barry McLarnon, VE3JF (3.5M MP3)
- Optimized Channel Access Mechanisms for Decentralized Spread Spectrum Packet Networks by Matthew Ettus, N2MJI (5.3M MP3)
- Status Report on TAPR 900 MHz Spread Spectrum Radio Project by Tom McDermott, N5EG (4.9M MP3) (Slides)
- TAPR DCC '98: Introduction to Spread Spectrum by Steve Bible, N7HPR (YouTube)
- Infrastructureless Packet Radio Networks by Don Lemke, WB9MJN (Slides) (YouTube)
- Introduction to Software Defined Radios by Steve Bible, N7HPR (10.7M MP3) (Slides)
- TAPR DCC '97: Spread Spectrum Design and Theory by Phil Karn, KA9Q (Slides) (YouTube)
- TAPR DCC '97: TAPR's 900 MHz Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum Radio Project by Tom McDermott, N5EG (Slides) (YouTube)
- TAPR DCC '97: Spread Spectrum Regulation and the Future of Ham Radio by Dewayne Hendircks, WA8DZP (Slides) (YouTube)
Microwave Associates (M/A-Com) Gunnplexer Notes
- MA87127 Series 10 GHz Gunnplexer Bulletin 7624A (1M PDF)
- MA87728 Series 10 GHz Gunnplexer (150k PDF)
- MA87729 Series 24 GHz Gunnplexer (115k PDF)
- 10 GHz Ham Operation with the MA-87127 Gunnplexer by Klaus Hirschelman, DJ7OO
- W2IOG Gunnplexer Notes Simple FM radio modification
- The Gunnplexer Cookbook by Robert M. Richardson, W4UCH. (12.7M PDF)
10 GHz Path Loss Notes
- Free Space Attenuation
- Path Performance Calculations for 15 kHz IF Bandwidth
- Distance vs. Carrier-to-Noise Ratio
- Microwave Beams Behave Much Like Light Beams
- Fresnel Zone Radius
- K Factors
- Surface Ducting
- Elevated Duct
MMDS Downconverter Notes & Applications
- California Amplifier 31732 Information and Modifications by Adam, G0ORY
- Gardiner MMDS Downconverter LO2398 by Adam, G0ORY
- California Amplifier 31732 Modifications for 2401 MHz Reception by Ward, WC0Y
- California Amplifier MMDS Downconverter Partial Schematic (97k PNG)
- Fujitsu FHX35LG Super Low-Noise HEMT Pre-amplifier often used in California Amplifier downconverters. (244k PDF) (S-parameters)
Archived Down East Microwave Inc. Design & Library Notes
- Eliminate Low Frequency Intermod of LNA's by Steve Kostro, N2CEI
- Intermod Resistant Preamplifiers by Steve Kostro, N2CEI
- "My Pre-Amp Doesn't Work!" A design, troubleshooting, and repair guide for all modern day low-noise amplifiers, by Steve Kostro, N2CEI
- Building Enclosures for Microwave Circuits by Rus Healy, NJ2L
Radar & Military Communications
Communication is the key to success.
- Electronic Warfare and Radar Systems Engineering Handbook A must read
- Association of Old Crows Electronic Warfare Tutorial
- The Radar Pages
- Tactical Radio Jammers
- TRW Digital Processing and Antennas Boost Battlefield Capability of Milstar II Satellites
- Military Abbreviations & Acronyms
- Russian Electronic Warfare Equipment
- Soviet Radar Systems
- Electronic Warfare Programs by AN Nomenclature
- International Electronic Countermeasures Handbook
- EW Reference & Source Guide
- Rockwell Collins Defense Electronics
- Raytheon Defense Electronics
- Principles of the Meteorological Doppler Radar Good overview of radar operations
- WSR-88D Technical Information
- WSR-88D Technical Information from Lockheed Martin (250k PDF)
- WSR-88D System Specifications (823k PDF)
- National Weather Service WSR-88D Transmit/Receive Status
- ITU Radar Bands
- Traffic Radar Handbook
- AN/TRC-170(V)2 Tropospheric Scatter Microwave Radio Terminal
- How to Use APRS for Direction Finding
- Doppler Direction Finder Design Notes
- Doppler Direction Finder Design Notes #2
- Epsilon Nought Radar remote sensing
- MX Missile Command, Control & Communication (850k PDF)
Recommended Hardware & Parts Suppliers
- Coilcraft Free sample inductors.
- Maxim IC Free sample RF and analog ICs.
- Rogers Corporation Free sample Teflon PC board.
- RF Micro Devices Best assortment of RF ICs.
- Hittite Microwave Corporation Sells RF ICs and evaluation boards directly to the public.
- Dan's Small Parts and Kits Low-cost parts for the homebrewer.
- Down East Microwave New & surplus RF parts/kits for the experimenter.
- Fair Radio New & surplus RF parts and military surplus.
- FindChips.com Fastest, most complete distributor search available.
- Radio Works Ham radio supplies and RF connectors.
- The Toroid King Best source for ferrite and powered-iron torroids from Dieter Gentzow, W8DIZ.
- Mendelson Electronics Good surplus electronics deals.
- Richardson Electronics Sells many hard-to-find RF parts in single quantities.
- INSTOCK Wireless Components RF/microwave power dividers and power combiners for all wireless-band frequencies from 0.7-2.7 GHz.
- Radiodan New and used Bird wattmeters and slugs.
- AIR802 Manufacturer of WiFi antennas, cable and connectors.
- PartSelect Source of parts for repairing and modifying appliance and consumer electronics.
- Oems Cart Search engine for electronic parts.
GBPPR Contact Information
"You got all the answers, Joe."
--- Oct. 6, 2014 quote from crooked Green Bay Police Det. Scott R. Grygleski while having a meltdown after being exposed as a liar.