Henry's East Ealing Site
Updated: 5 June 2005 11.55Z
Remember to REFRESH each visit to see all updates
The KWM-2/2A TRANSCEIVER
The first Collins transceiver the KWM-1 appeared in 1957, and this was followed two years later by the KWM-2, which basically combined the circuits of the 75S-1 and 32S-1 in one case. A look a the pictures below will confirm that the cabinet is pretty full up. For the enthusiast it is a stirring sight to lift the lid when the radio is switched on, to see a whole family of tubes glowing and to feel the waft of hot air!
Two years later the KWM-2A appeared, this utilised the usual Collins modification to double the number of band segments available. Genuine factory made models have the wide eyebrows above the Exciter and PA tuning controls.
There is virtually no difference in the top views of the KWM-2 and KWM-2A, except that as the crystal board at the bottom left which houses the ham band crystals is underneath the chassis of the 2A, the board on top is often empty!
A Satisfying Sight