[SI-LIST] : AC Coupling vs DC Coupling

From: Bryan Robb (brobb@lsil.com)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 09:45:25 PDT

I am trying to determine the pros and cons of using
AC vs DC coupling in a backplane application. From looking
at several different types of systems, it appears as if
both are used in some form or another. I am thinking
about DC coupling the system, but I don't want to overlook
any compelling reason to AC couple.

Furthermore, I am trying to maximize my data transfer and
do not want to incur the penalty of an encoding scheme like
8b/10b. So if I don't encode the data stream in some manner,
the data will not be DC balanced which would automatically rule
out AC coupling. Would non-DC balanced data cause a problem in a
system that is DC Coupled? I am speaking about data transfer
rates in the 622 to 800 MHz range.

Thanks in advance,

   Bryan Robb                           LSI Logic Corporation
   Engineering Manager                  200 West Street
                                        Waltham, MA 02154
   Phone  (781) 290-0238
   Fax    (781) 890-6158
   Pager  (888) 524-9468