Re: [SI-LIST] : AC Coupling vs DC Coupling

From: Scott McMorrow ([email protected])
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 10:31:08 PDT

Bryan,

non-DC balanced data will cause additional intersymbol interference (ISI)
in the received data stream. Bit jitter is the result of ISI.

So ... whether on not non-DC balanced data will work in a system is
dependent upon the available jitter and skew margin at the receivers
and other sources of noise, jitter and skew in the system. ISI can
be simulated to determine the upper bounds on it's contribution to
jitter.

regards,

scott

Bryan Robb wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to determine the pros and cons of using
> AC vs DC coupling in a backplane application. From looking
> at several different types of systems, it appears as if
> both are used in some form or another. I am thinking
> about DC coupling the system, but I don't want to overlook
> any compelling reason to AC couple.
>
> Furthermore, I am trying to maximize my data transfer and
> do not want to incur the penalty of an encoding scheme like
> 8b/10b. So if I don't encode the data stream in some manner,
> the data will not be DC balanced which would automatically rule
> out AC coupling. Would non-DC balanced data cause a problem in a
> system that is DC Coupled? I am speaking about data transfer
> rates in the 622 to 800 MHz range.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Bryan
>
> --