Re: [SI-LIST] : AC Coupling vs DC Coupling

From: Josip Popovic ([email protected])
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 04:57:50 PDT

[email protected] wrote:
> Supply noise has the effect of modulating the buffer delay. So it would
> be helpful
> to model a group of 5 output buffers as follows.

Here I would like to add that there are two effect to be considered:

#1. for example a few drivers, that share one gnd pin, and transition
from '1' to '0' would create a voltage drop over the gnd pin. This would
in return slow down discharge of load capacitance(s) (receiver input
capacitance, for example 8 pF). More drivers, larger the voltage drop
over the gnd pin, smaller load discharge currents, slower output
transitions

#2. The same gnd voltage drop would tend to decrease conductivity of the
N channel output transistors, however most of output stages have a pre
driver section that is referenced to the same gnd. This in return would
give that voltage of the gate of the N channel transistor to the
transistor source is differentially always the same. Consequently #2 is
not of such importance as #1.

Josip Popovic