Re: [SI-LIST] : monotonic signals at SDRAM-, SSRAM- and FEPROM-adress inputs

From: Scott McMorrow ([email protected])
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 08:48:39 PST

James,

If you look at the specs for SDRAM you will find that the timing
is only specified for specific edge rates. Usually 1V/ns. Sometime
down to as low as .5 V/ns. These are specified within the
device Vil and Vih. At slew rates below this, the device inputs become
extremely sensitive to signaling, ground, power and device noise.
No DRAM manufacturer wants to even touch specifications below
these slew rates, especially when the non-monotonic input behavior
occurs between Vil and Vih. Or for new devices, Vachigh and Vaclow.

Physically the receiver is an amplifier without hysteresis. It is extremely
senstive and has a high gain bandwidth product (i.e. high bandwidth).
A non-monotonic glitch in the threshold region (which at any point in space, time,
process and temperature is someVoltage +/- 25 mV) can cause the
amplifier to switch if there is enough energy in the glitch, which is related to
it's frequency and the amplifier's bandwidth. The higher the bandwidth of the
amplifier (faster switching time) the more sensitive. So, a glitch in the
edge can cause several pulses, or even runt pulses to be passed from the
input receiver to subsequent latches in the devices. These device latches
do not have any additional stages to reduce the probability of metastability
events. (Remember this is "synchronous memory.) They drive almost
directly into the device column and row amplifiers of the array which is not
a good place meta stable events to occur.

As devices become faster these problems become more pronounced and
more likely. Take a look at the specifications for Intel GTL receiver timing.
They went to pains to describe a way of derating timing for non-ideal inputs.
There's no major difference between these receivers than those on other
devices like memory. With Vil and Vih of 800mV and 2000 mV, there is
room for margin ... if we use Vil and Vih as the receiver timing thresholds.
However, compared to the nominal switch point of about 1400 mV there
is a big difference in the timing numbers that one would see in simulation or
in measurement. If you derate all timings to Vil and Vih ... which by the
way are not the stated timing measurement points for SDRAM ... then you
lose lots-o-timing. Unfortunately, if you have ill-behaved waveforms at
device inputs, then you can have some terribly degenerate behavior at the
receivers ... and some bad stuff can happen inside of these devices ... even
within the Vil and Vih limits.

regards,

scott

"Peterson, James F (FL51)" wrote:

> Regarding non-monotonic edges on SDRAM :
> I have also heard that SDRAMs are very sensitive to this problem. I don't
> think the responses so far have completely explained why a non-monotonic
> edge on an address line can cause a problem in synchronous memory.
> Does anyone have a good explanation for why this occurs?
> thanks,
> Jim
> Jim Peterson
> [email protected]
> Honeywell, Space Systems Division, M/S 934-5
> 13350 US 19 N., Clearwater, FL, 34624
> 727-539-2719

Scott McMorrow
Principal Engineer