Each year, Hawaii State Civil Defense in cooperation with a number of governmental and private agencies conduct a state-wide exercise to test and evaluate preparations for operations before, during and after a hurricane. The exercise, entitled Makani Pahili, will be conducted on Saturday, May 29, 2010 9:00 am - 12 noon and on Tuesday, June 1.
These are the arrangements underway within the amateur radio community in preparation for participating in the exercise. If you know of any, please contact Ron Hashiro, AH6RH
Enjoy, and feel free to drop me an e-mail if you have any questions.
|Hawaii SCD||3993.5, 5330.5, 7088||147.06+||444.35+|
|Healthcomm||3888,5371.5,7080||147.280+||443.775+ pl 123.0, 444.775+ pl 123.0|
The timeline for the net on Saturday, May 29, 2010 from 9:00 am to 12 noon is:
- 9:00 am, start of net. Announce net preamble, take check-ins, start message handling
- 10:15 am, simulated 50 mph winds arrive on Oahu. HF antennas on towers fail. (Loss of much HF communications on Oahu) Loss of commercial power. Loss of inter-island links on SCD VHF repeater system. SCD VHF repeaters go into stand-alone mode.
- 10:30 am, simulated Category 1 winds arrive on Oahu. Progressive loss of Oahu repeaters due to antenna damage. Mobile operators forced to cease operations due to flying debris. Only hurricane-rated repeaters remain on the air. Operators next to glass windows forced to withdraw to safer interior rooms. (If you're in a concrete building, move to an interior room and test simplex operations.)
- 11:00 am, simulated landfall
- 11:30 am, first eyewall passes. Initial field damage assessment possible
- 11:50 am, second eyewall passes. Advise all persons to simulate going back to interior rooms.
- 11:55 am, Reenable SCD VHF repeater links in preparation for winding down net. Reenable 146.88 MHz repeater. Announce final statistics (if available)
- 12 noon, close net
A MS Word version of the net preamble is available.
Statewide Hurricane Exercise - State CD RACES/ARES participation.
Expected path of the simulated exercise hurricane includes landfall on the island of Oahu.
27 May - NWS issues a hurricane warning
29 May, 11:00 am HST - Category 4 hurricane hits Oahu
31 May - All clear issued, post disaster assessment and recovery phase begins
SCD - KH6HPZ
SCD will be on the following frequencies at differing times:
147.060 - DH Repeater - Command/Control
146.880 - DH Repeater - for interoperation with Oahu DEM RACES
Initial contact will be made on the 147.060 repeater. Stations will then be moved to another frequency, if possible, to handle traffic.
HF will also be used as follows to communicate with SCD and to exercise NVIS.
SCD will be on the SCD interisland net:
40m on 7088 kHz LSB (+/- qrm)
60m on 5330.5 kHz USB (+/- qrm)
80m on 3993.5 kHz LSB (if 40m is not open)
Messages will be exchanged in ICS-213 message format. A major part of this exercise is to gain experience in sending and receiving ICS-213 messages. Stations are encouraged to generate and send test messages for the exercise. All stations will use "THIS IS AN EXERCISE MESSAGE" at the beginning and end of all messages.
Saturday (5/29) @ 0900 - 1200 KH6HPZ
Exercise on June 1 will be 10:00 am to 2:00 pm.
Statewide Hurricane Exercise - Oahu DEM RACES participation.
TBD - KH6OCD
DEM will be on the following frequencies:
146.880- DH Repeater - Command/Control
146.98- FFMB Repeater - Traffic
Statewide Hurricane Exercise - Healthcomm participation.
Healthcomm - KH6HC
147.280 - Hawaii Medical Center-West Repeater
443.775+ pl 123.0
444.775+ pl 123.0
Healthcomm will be on HF:
40m on 7080 kHz LSB (+/- qrm) Primary
60m on 5371.5 kHz USB (+/- qrm) Alternate
80m on 3888 kHz LSB (if 40m is not open) Alternate
Copyright © 1997-2015 Ron Hashiro
Updated: May 26, 2010 DISCLAIMER: Ron Hashiro Web Site is not responsible for the content at
any of the external sites that we link to and therefore
are not necessarily endorsed by us.