Engineering Software (opens in new browser window)
- Attention Linux users − Software listed below and shown as being Linux compatible is likely to be available via your package manager. It's a good idea to check there first for a version optimized for your particular distro.
- Open Source software − What is it? Why should you care? Read all about it here November 5, 2016
- AE6TY − Ward's software for radio builders − Some UNIX variants and MS-Windows (free)
- Almost All Digital Electronics −
Need a digital readout for that new homebrew radio? How about a free MS-Windows program to design that front-end filter? Need an affordable L/C meter to measure those filter elements? This site has great links, too!
- Notice − Neil, a retired Boeing engineer, became a silent key on August 19, 2015 and his web site has been taken down.
- AADE Filter Design − He created and generously offered this useful application as a free download. I believe he would want his program to remain available to radio builders. Therefore, you can obtain it from this site using the link below.
- AADE Filter Design − version 4.42 − MS-Windows (free)
- How to run the AADE Filter Design Program in Linux
On-Line References (opens in new browser window)
- EAGLE Light − PCB design with EAGLE’s full functionality with sheet, board size and layer limitations − Linux, OS X and MS-Windows (free)
- FreeCAD − 3D modeler made to design real-life objects − Linux, OS X and MS-Windows (open source & free)
- gEDA − PCB design, schematic, BOM and simulation software − Linux and OS X (open source & free)
- Inkscape − Professional vector graphics editor − Linux, OS X and MS-Windows (open source & free)
- KiCad − Open Source Electronics Design Automation Suite − Linux, OS X and MS-Windows (open source & free)
- LC Filter Designer from Coilcraft − MS-Windows (free)
- Linear Technology − Download page with useful design software − OS X and MS-Windows (free)
- PyVISA − A Python package that controls measurement devices independent of the interface − Linux, OS X & MS-Windows (open source & free)
- Qucs − Quite universal circuit simulator − Linux, OS X and MS-Windows (open source & free)
- Tonne Software − A catalog of original and interesting electrical engineering programs − MS-Windows (some free)
Parts & Material Sources (opens in new browser window)
- Learning About Electronics − Excellent electronics and programming tutorials. Site also has on-line calculators
- RF Globalnet − A great reference for radio builders.
- KD6CC − Roger's Custom Meter Faces
- NTE Electronics − Semiconductor Cross Reference Search
- QEX − The ARRL Experimenter's Exchange
- Technical Library from Wenzel Associates − Excellent tutorials for radio builders.
- VA3IUL - YO3DAC − Iulian's homebrew RF circuit design ideas page. Be sure to check out his home page, too!
- VE3WGX − Bill's index of Ham Radio Magazine articles. Ham Radio was THE magazine for radio builders!
Test & Measurement (opens in new browser window)
- Amidon, Inc. − Ferrite and powdered iron toroid Cores
- Analog Devices − Semiconductor products page
- Antique Electronic Supply − Vintage components for radios and guitar amplifiers
- Barker and Williamson Co. − Antennas, Inductors & HV components
- Coilcraft − RF Inductors and EMI/RFI Filters
- Peter W. Dahl Co. − Transformers & power supply components
- Dan's Small Parts − Hard-to-find radio parts available here
- DigiKey Corp. − General purpose electronic components distributor
- Fair Radio Sales Co., Inc. − Military & industrial surplus electronics
- Fair-Rite Products Corp. − Ferrite and powdered iron cores
- Hamfests! Hamfests! Hamfests! − Did I mention hamfests?
- Hammond Manufacturing Ltd. − Transformers & Large Inductors
- JAN Crystals − A family operated source of stock and custom crystals
- Kiwa Electronics − Low Pass, High Pass, Bandpass & Custom Flters
- Motorola − Semiconductor products
- Mini-Circuits − Mixers, RF transformers, RF power splitters/combiners, and amplifiers
- Mouser Electronics − General purpose electronic components distributor...some BA parts
- NTE Electronics Semiconductor products
- On Semiconductor − Semiconductor Products
- RF Parts Co. − RF semiconductors, inductor cores, HV parts
- Howard Sams & Co. − PHOTOFACT service documentation
- Surplus Sales of Nebraska − Spare parts for vintage Collins gear
- Texas Instruments − Designer's page
- Toko − Inductors, RF transformers, SAW filters, IF filters
- W7FG Vintage Manuals − Manuals for vintage radio gear
Links on this page verified & updated on December 7, 2017
- EB5AGV − Jose's test gear
- G3PTO - John's homebrew test gear
- K6LS − Phil's RF sampler
- N9ZIA − Homebrew RF test equipment and software November 12, 2016
- VE7JPC − links for test equipment built by experimenters and hams November 12, 2016
- WA2PZO − Murray's Science Workshop - Poor Man's Spectrum Analyzer Kits
Return to Amateur Radio
Return to George's Place
December 7, 2017
☚ Do you have an addition or correction?