RE: [SI-LIST] : different 4-layer board Stack up (S-P-G-S) ?

From: Greim, Michael ([email protected])
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 05:28:51 PST

Hi Alex,

I don't find this stack-up all that unusual. It is always
better to route over a contiguous plane to minimize
impedance bumps and minimize return currents. Addi-
tionally your designer is right in the fact that you should
have more routing resources on the back side as you
should only have to deal with vias and potentially test
points. If you have a symetric stackup (and you should)
then the impedances should be the same. More
routing resources equate to shorter runs and that coupled
with a contiguous reference plane should offer you the
best possibility of clean signals. Now if you make sure
that you have a properly designed power distribution system
(low impedance across the relavent frequency range) you
are in business.

Best Regards,

Michael