[SI-LIST] : different 4-layer board Stack up (S-P-G-S) ?

From: Alex Li ([email protected])
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 18:36:01 PST

Recently I saw a 4-layer mother board with 100 Mhz 128-bit memory bus.
This board has unusual signal-power-ground-signal stack up. I talked to
one of their engineer for this kind of arrangement. They said since most PC
motherboard has several power plane split and on the top level there are a
lot of components with pads. they think if they route all the 128-bit memory
bus on the back and put it close to ground plane, they have much routing
area and this will help to keep the signals clean.

    This is kind of new idea to me, does anyone see any drawback by this
arrangement ? Will this decrease the decoupling caps performance ?

                                                Alex