RE: [SI-LIST] : interplanar capacitance

From: Harris, George ([email protected])
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 14:17:53 PST

Ewart,

Remember that you must provide a low impedance return path for the signal
current. If your signals are driven by a mix of 3.3v and 5v chips, the
stackup you show is just fine. Keep the 3.3v signals between ground and the
3.3v plane, and the 5v between the 5v and the other ground plane. With this
stackup you don't have much interplanar capacitance but the need to keep
return loops at low impedance outweighs this consideration. Just use more
h-f bypass caps.

If however all your signals are driven from only one of the voltages, then
using the stackup where power/ground planes are adjacent may be better,
although you will have more crosstalk in the dual stripline configuration.

-George
George Harris
Tel: 508-467-8893
[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
COMPAQ Computer Corporation