RE: [SI-LIST] : LVDS signal observation

From: Degerstrom, Michael J. ([email protected])
Date: Wed Feb 02 2000 - 11:55:45 PST

Tom,

I also like to us a good high bandwidth 10X probe instead of a FET probe.
However, the user must be very careful as a 10X probe looks like
500 ohms to ground to the LVDS output. When you only have 3-4ma
of current swings you do not want 1.2/500 = 2.4ma pulled to ground.
Depending on the LVDS design you won't just get reduced swings you
may get nothing if the buffer is pulled out of its bias range. Luckily
I have always have control of the bit pattern coming out of
the LVDS buffer. Therefore I simply apply a well balanced
2^N-1 PRBS code so I can use AC coupling from my 10X probe into
my 50 ohm oscilloscope to do my evaluations.

Mike

Mike Degerstrom Email: [email protected]
Mayo Clinic
200 1st Street SW
Gugg. Bldg. RM 1042A Phone: (507) 284-3292
Rochester, MN 55905 FAX: (507) 284-9171
WWW: http://www.mayo.edu/sppdg/sppdg_home_page.html