RE: [SI-LIST] : Chassis hole opening and frequencies

From: Nadolny, Jim ([email protected])
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 10:47:16 PST

Doug,

I figure I will toss in my 2 cents regarding some of the assumptions...

Remember that these numbers are for plane wave shielding performance which
is generally modeled using a waveguide below cutoff approximation. The
proximity of the noise source to the aperture array has a strong effect on
the resultant field, and not just because the source amplitude is greater.
The wave impedance changes with distance from the source. A complicated way
of saying that the source is a tricky fellow.

And of course not all apertures are the same. Connectors are sometimes
analyzed as an aperture and the enclosure SE is degraded by the connector
aperture. True, but the cable attached to the connector is a bit :) of a
problem. The fields in the aperture of the connector couple well to
conductors.

Jim Nadolny