RE: [SI-LIST] : Chassis hole opening and frequencies

From: Mayer, Mike ([email protected])
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 11:05:55 PST

> From: Doug Brooks [mailto:[email protected]]

> As I recall, there is a relationship between a hole in a
> chassis and the
> frequencies that can pass through that opening. I recall that
> the longest
> dimension of the hole defines the wavelength, or quarter
> wavelength, or
> something, of the lowest frequency than can conveniently
> enter or escape
> through the opening.

Introduction to Electromagnetic Compatibility by Clayton Paul refers to
Babinet's principle, which relates the far field radiation of a slot to
that of an antenna of the same dimensions. The rule of thumb I have
always seen [email protected] that anything longer than 1/10
wavelength is suspect.
=
Mike Mayer Artesyn Communication Products,
Inc
Senior Hardware Design Engineer Madison, WI
[email protected] http://www.artesyn.com/cp