Re: [SI-LIST] : USB differential lines.

Norm Ebsary ([email protected])
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 13:52:02 -0400

Fred,

My intent was to respond to Laurent's question of

"From what I have read in the SI-LIST archives
>> >Zdifferential = 2 * Zsingle ended in the case where there is no coupling
>> >between the traces : the lines have to be separeted by a large
>> >distance, which is stupid for a differential pair where both wire should
>> >be near to each other.
>> >
>> >Any comment on this strange requirement is welcome.
>> >"

and therefore define the differential characteristic impedance as Zo =
120/Er * ln(h/w + ((h/w)**2 -1)**.5) in relation to the distance between
the two differential traces. While you have defined a differential system
which I have no disagreement of, this certainly was not my intent. My intent
was to define for a differential (and not single-ended) pair the
characteristic impedance. The question Laurent asked was "I am designing a
PCB which should use differential lines for USB.", in regards to
"Differential impedance should be 90 Ohms to match the cable impedance if I
have well understund.".

As you have emphasized it is not the practice that differential lines are
routed closely together, but that the characteristic impedance be met for
this differential pair. I agree with you that the differential impedance is
the requirement that must be adhered to, which could be met by routing two
differential lines in a pair closely together as .005"/.005" designs rules
allow, for a Zo of 45 Ohms. The common industry misnomer is to route
differential lines as closely together without regard to their resultant
characteristic impedance. Again I tempted to disagree with you on your
statement "It is not incorrect to route differential signals close to each
other.>It is preferable. " ,but since you have added "The caveat being that
the required ZO be met. " I would have have to agree.

Regards,
Norm Ebsary
Digital Telecommunications Inc.