RE: [SI-LIST] : Conducted EMC Testing of PLL jitter

Charles Hill ([email protected])
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 15:26:35 -0600

Ray,

It seems there are several mechanisms that interact to be concerned with.

1. The PLL jitter has a frequency dependent sensitivity to supply voltage
noise.
2. The PCB and its bypassing has a frequency dependent impedance.
3. The offending threat has a frequency dependent power and impedance
level.

The power to ground plane impedance including bypass capacitors should look
like a very low impedance transmission line with voltage maxima on the
edges of the PCB. For a given frequency, the impedance varies with
position. The impedance also varies with frequency. The offending theat
couples power into the PCB power and ground depending on position and
frequency. Similarly, the PLL victim receives noise from the PCB power and
ground depending on position and frequency.

You might try modelling the threat as an injected current between PCB power
and ground. Terminate your power amplifier in 50 ohms, then connect a
resistor to the power (say 200-1000 ohms). The actual noise injected is
the aggregate of the threat output impedance, input impedance of the PCB
power, and transfer function to the PLL.

The PLL probably has a digital phase detector so it has a wide input noise
bandwidth--noise can alias into the loop bandwidth of the PLL since it is a
sampled system, plus gates have a fast response thus a wide BW. The VCO
frequency determining mechanism is probably not high Q (not LC tank or
crystal) so VCO power supply reject is important.

Sounds like an interesting investigation---good luck.

Chuck Hill, consultant
[email protected]