Information on Hawaii
These pages offer information on amateur radio in Hawaii.
Enjoy, and feel free to drop me an e-mail if you have any questions.
These are pages on VHF and UHF operations in Hawaii.
- Common VHF and UHF repeaters in Hawaii
- General information on the EARC repeaters
- The EARC Diamond Head 146.28/146.88 MHz repeater
- General information on VHF and UHF non-repeater operations in Hawaii
- General information on Icom IC-V80 programming information for Hawaii
- General information on Kenwood TM-D710 programming information for Hawaii
- Essential information on how to program a Kenwood TM-V71A radio
- Memory control files for the Yaesu VX-6R for Oahu
The American Radio Relay League in Newington, Connecticut supports amateur radio at the local, regional and national level. It is sponsored by the members in return for a number of benefits, including the monthly magazine QST.
These are pages on events and organizations in Hawaii.
- 2011 Honolulu Marathon, December 11, 2011
- 2011 Kalawao County DXpedition, August 25-29, 2011
- Amateur Radio Events in Hawaii
- Hawaii Radio Nets
- Hawaii Amateur Radio organizations
- HIHAM -- Email reflector for Hawaii (qsl.net)
- Hamradiohawaii -- Email reflector for Hawaii (Yahoo Groups)
- Ham Radio Exam Testing - Oahu - CDARC
- Ham Radio Exam Testing - Oahu - EARC
- Ham Radio and Commercial Radio Testing - Oahu - Team led by Lee Wical
- Field Day in Hawaii
- The annual Simulated Emergency Test -- usually held in October
- List of prior events on Oahu that could potentially lead to an emergency
There is another set of pages set aside for those who'd like to learn to become a ham radio operator in Hawaii.
Effective July 1, 2013, a state-wide law Act 74 for mobile electronic devices takes effect. It supersedes the county laws. Mobile amateur radio is exempt.
Previously, effective July 1, 2009, you'll need to use a hands-free device if you wish to use your cellular telephone while driving on Oahu. Additionally, mobile amateur radio is exempt. Randy, KH6IB passes along the tip to keep a copy of Bill 4 (2009) the glove compartment of your vehicle.
A similar bill went into effect on the Big Island on January 1, 2010. Kauai's bill passed the full Council on February 3, 2010, and the cell phone ban is effective May 23, 2010. Maui's bill passed the Maui Council on June 18, 2010, and is effective July 6, 2010. You can get further information and the links to the PDF files of the signed bills at the Hawaii mobile cellular telephone legislation web page.
Recapping the cell phone bans by island:
- Oahu, effective July 1, 2009
- Big Island, effective January 1, 2010
- Kauai, effective May 23, 2010
- Maui, Molokai and Lanai, effective July 6, 2010
If you're interested in the changes to the radio and television industry in Hawaii over the years, this web page will be of interest. There's been so much change, only a portion of it has been captured.
There are quite a number of incidents on Oahu each year that could potentially lead to situations requiring emergency communications.
The response during Hurricane Iniki - September 11, 1992.
The response during the Kiholo earthquake - October 15, 2006.
The response during the Chilean Tsunami - February 27, 2010.
The response during the Tohoku-Sendai, Honshu, Japan Tsunami - March 11, 2011.
The response during the Queen Charlotte Island, British Columbia, Canada Tsunami - October 27, 2012.
The response during the Tropical Storm Flossie - July 29, 2013.
The response during the Chilean Tsunami - April 2, 2014.
The response during the Tropical Storm Iselle - August 7-8, 2014.
The response during the Hurricane Julio - August 9, 2014+.
The response during the Hurricane Karina - August 12, 2014+.
The first Missing Man formation overflight over Punchbowl with the new F-22 stealth fighter. This was at the same time amateur radio operators provided backup contingency communications in support of the APEC Conference in Honolulu.
The EARC sponsored a special event station as a public education for amateur radio, and the movie "Frequency".
Copyright © 1997-2014 Ron Hashiro
Updated: August 12, 2014 DISCLAIMER: Ron Hashiro Web Site is not responsible for the content at
any of the external sites that we link to and therefore
are not necessarily endorsed by us.