RE: [SI-LIST] : 2 mil plane-plane separation

From: Charbonneau, Richard A ([email protected])
Date: Mon Sep 11 2000 - 15:02:14 PDT

Dear Mr. Zanella and [si-list] regulars,

I have taken the liberty of forwarding this question to 3M and Dupont for
comment.

I also want to let you know that there are new materials that are thinner
than the 2.0 mils (BC2000) that I often see discussed on this list server.
These new high dielectric constant materials will be commercially available
by the end of the year. In addition, there are multiple board suppliers that
have sucessfully built boards with these materials including; Merix, Litton
ACD, Sanmina, Raytheon Systems and Compeq.

On the subject of UL approval, you might be interested to know that UL has
already granted approval to Dupont for their Kapton HiK (thickness ~1.5
mils) material and that 3M is in the midst of UL approval for their C-Ply
offering (thickness ~0.5 mils).

If you would like to learn more about the materials and how they performed
in recent tests, I recommend that you contact Shirley Phillips at
(734)995-7986 to obtain a copy of the NCMS EDC Workshop proceedings or
purchase a copy of the EDC Project Final Report which is due out 10/1/2000.
I would also encourage you to consider attending APEX 2001 in January 2001
if you are interested in learning more. I will be chairing two sessions on
this subject. Check out the conference web site at http://www.apex2001.org
for more details.

I am excited about the prospects and look forward to the next step in PWB
design. Please feel free to write.

Regards,

Richard Charbonneau, NCMS Embedded Decoupling Project Leader