[SI-LIST] : Merits of low dielectric constant

From: Hassan Ali ([email protected])
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 06:36:41 PDT

I attended a presentation by a high-frequency (1GHz < f < 65GHz) coaxial
cable vendor, and the presenter claimed that their cables use a material
with a very low dielectric constant and therefore are ideal for high-speed
application as they give rise to low capacitive loading. He gave a formula
showing the capacitance (I think per unit length) decreasing as you decrease
dielectric constant. This claim, however, perplexed me as I don't know how a
cable's capacitance per unit length would give rise to a capacitive loading.
All I know from my transmission line classes, a lossless transmission line
with Z0 = sqrt(L/C) would transmit signals exactly the same way regardless
of the value of the p.u.l. capacitance C as long as the ratio L/C is
maintained. Am I missing something here?

Thanks.

Hassan.

--
Hassan Ali <[email protected]>
Equipment & Network Interconnect, Nortel Networks