Re: [SI-LIST] : Merits of low dielectric constant

From: Dorin Oprea ([email protected])
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 11:03:22 PDT

Hassan,

I believe the signal loop area is the key of this puzzle (no losses in
consideration). A lower dielectric permitivity allows getting the same
impedance
value within a smaller spacing between the conductor and the reference
element
(shield). Smaller distance between the two conductors means smaller loop
area
and therefore, less EM radiation = energy loss (Henry Ott) and also
smaller
inductance value.
Smaller L and smaller C means also faster transportation medium (coax
cable),
but L/C is still the same.

Thanks,
Dorin