RE: [SI-LIST] : via capacitance

From: Dan Swanson ([email protected])
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 04:57:18 PDT

Dear Sunil,

1. I don't think there is a formula for capacitance or
    inductance for this situation.

2. It's the wrong question. I believe the question should
    be: "Is it possible to get a controlled impedance transition
    between these to layers with good return loss out
    to some specified frequency?"

3. The answer is yes. But I only know how to design these
     things on a case by case basis using a field-solver.

4. In general you are doing the right things, removing unused
     pads. The antipads may need to be bigger than you are
     used to. The actual transition region probably suffers from
     excess capacitance, so "tuning" it by narrowing down the
     signal traces for a short distance on either side sometimes
     helps.

Dan

Dan Swanson EMAIL: [email protected]
Bartley R.F. Systems TEL: (978) 241-1091
38 Water Street FAX: (978) 388-7077
Amesbury, MA 01913