RE: [SI-LIST] : Bad IBIS models!

From: Mayer, Mike ([email protected])
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 12:46:38 PST

Tom Dagostino wrote:

> Unfortunately, bitching about bad models is not going to change the

> situation at all. There needs to be a constructive dialog

> between users and

> IC vendors to educate the vendors about the need for good

> models. Part of

> my job content is to do just that. But I can use all the

> help from end

> users like yourself to come up with good business reasons that vendors

> should make models available to the world.

If an IC supplier can quickly get working products on the market containing
their chips, then they sell lots of chips. All of the other things they do
are targeted at that: technical support, app notes, clear data sheets, etc.
Having good, tested IBIS models is just one more item in their portfolio of
technical support tools. And it is becoming increasingly important. Some
manufacturers "get it" and some don't, just like some designers understand
that signal integrity is important and some don't. As Tom's competitor says
in their ads: "There are two types of engineers: Those with signal integrity
problems and those with <insert name of SI tool here>."

Maybe the slogan should be: "There are two types of IC suppliers: those
shunned by good engineers, and those who have good IBIS Models".

=

Mike Mayer Artesyn Communication Products, Inc

Senior Hardware Design Engineer Madison, WI

[email protected] http://www.artesyn.com/cp