Re: [SI-LIST] : Bad IBIS models!

From: Laurence Michaels ([email protected])
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 06:47:33 PST

Brian Young wrote:

> I can't vouch for what goes on in other companies or even
> my own. I see a very small part of a very large operation
> in a very large industry. Probably everyone is in just
> about the same boat, so making something happen is tough.
>
> With that disclaimer, then ...
>
> The generation and supply of consistently good IBIS models
> across the product line is quite an expensive proposition.
> It requires regular training, because I/O designers come
> and go, software, hardware validation, cataloging, maintenance,
> etc. The effort must span multiple organizations and
> geographic regions. A high-level effort would be required
> with significant funding (i.e. millions). Without such
> an effort, what you get are individual best efforts.
>
> The people who can make this happen do not read this list.
> How do you convince them to expend the resources to make
> consistently good IBIS models available to customers?
> You can't just say, "A bunch of people on the SI-LIST bitterly
> complain about the quality of IBIS models, and if we don't
> do something about it, we will lose sales."
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Brian

OK... Modeling in general makes it easier for a design engineer
to get a product to work properly with fewer prototypes and
a shorter time-to-market (at least, that's the idea). This
increases both the likelihood of selling that product, and the
quantity of that product that is sold. If one company beats
another one to market (with a usable product), they have a
chance to make more money and thus purchase more raw materials.
In this case, the raw materials are IC chips.

So, the accuracy of models in general can be a significant
benefit to the entire customer base. The people complaining
on the SI-list aren't the only ones using simulation, nor
are IBIS models the only useful model type.

Your last sentence might be better stated "A bunch of people
on the SI-LIST bitterly complain about the quality of IBIS
models. This means that there are likely to be many other
customers who haven't been able to get good IBIS models, but
complain privately. If we don't do something about it, our
sales may suffer." There's a statistic I saw somewhere, but I
don't remember the number, that said only a small percentage
of customers affected by a problem will actually complain about
it publically. So, if 10 people on the SI-LIST are complaining
loudly about the problem, that's maybe 100 customers you've
managed to annoy (but not enough for them to complain in
public).

Laurence Michaels