RE: [SI-LIST] : Adding inductors to ground?

From: Larry Smith ([email protected])
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 09:55:16 PST

Chris - The effective inductance associated with a discrete decoupling
capacitor is an extremely important parameter in determining the
effectiveness of a the capacitor. We find that most of the
inductance associated with typical decoupling capacitors is associated
with the pad and via layout which conducts current to the power
planes. Reverse aspect capacitors can help but may not be address
the dominant inductance. After the via and pad layout has been
optimized, there is some value to using reverse aspect capacitors.

The same comment goes for AVX LICA parts that have many bumps for
attachment to power and ground. The most effective pattern is a
checkerboard where Vdd/Gnd alternates on every adjacent bump. But we
must follow up this capacitor terminal pattern with a similar pattern
of pcb vias to the pcb power planes. If that is done, the LICA
capacitor is very effective at reducing the effective inductance of the
capacitor. But we must be willing to chew up the wiring channels with
Vdd/Gnd vias on the pcb in order to make LICA's effective.

regards,
Larry Smith
Sun Microsystems