RE: [SI-LIST] : Input switching threshold & CPCI

From: Volk, Andrew M ([email protected])
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 14:34:51 PST

I have to disagree with the comment from Mr. Sessions that compatibility
from PCI to AGP was not required. It most certainly was. Several vendors
"bridged" between PCI and AGP with the same controller working on both
interfaces. They were able to use their prior designs and get into a new
market quicker, with less risk and lower cost. I'm not saying that the SI
issue he raised is not correct. There are always better solutions if you
can cut and run. I'd like to see his "clean sheet" idea actually create a
better means for interconnect. But "compatibility" is a bridge to better
things as well as an anchor to them. (I swear by it and at it every day.)

Andrew Volk
Intel Corp.