WITH BAYCOM MODEM
You can use Baycom modem with a lot of Software
(under DOS or WINDOWS); the "problem" is that is not enough to configure and run
only one program but more (driver ecc.): this is a problem for many ham.
Sometime you can have problem with your
hardware. So take a look below..
Often the problem is Reception, makig a lot of "Retries":
- Modem built with TCM3105 use a trimmer on pin 7
to vary voltage (on pin 7): if not well-calibrate, it can not work at all; use a
multiturning trimmer or, if there isn't any trimmer, use one!
- Modem using 74HC04 as serial "signales
adapter" may have problem: make the following modification:
- Has your receicer the same band-filter the BBS
- If you use modem that keep voltage by serial
port make sure the software you use allows that! (i.e.: your modem keep +12V from pin 2 of
serial port but the software keep this pin at 0V; in this case modem will not work at
- Modem that keep voltage from serial port may not
work under WINDOWS (use an external power supply).
- Ground: only using it you understand what means
to use it!
- Serial port, "odi et amo" for hams;
somebody suggests using an add-in com port board: it's useful because if you damage it,
just substitute it saving the on board controller; moreover there aren't "long serial
bus-cable" wich make the "noise" higher. Sometime the com ports have
non-standard address and IRQ..it's a good idea to check it before!
- Modem using 7910 need a very high audio
Some words about "software-problem",
expecially under Windows;
- "Antivirus" may disturb packet
programs; in case of troubles unload it and try again with packet software.
- At the same way TSR programs can disturb packet:
with CTRL+ALT+CANC you can see all programs at the moment loaded and running (and if you
wish, you can unload it).
- Don't forget dear memory manager (HIMEM.SYS
EMM386,ecc): see always what's in your AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS and try to de-active
some lines..sometime it's works..
- High grafic accelerator may disturb, try with
low values (START > SETTING > CONTROL PANEL > SISTEM > PERFORMANCE > GRAFIC).
- Screen saver: why do you use it if it makes more
troubles than advantages?
- If you use agwpe try to de-active FIFO in com
port used (START > SETTING > CONTROL PANEL > SISTEM >
PERIFERICAL > COMUNICATION PORT (COMxx) > PORT SETTING > ADVANCED > USE FIFO
BUFFER (de-active it).
- If you use flexnet try deactiving COM port (I
never made that, but if programmer say so...).
- Be care with periphelical used by two device
(i.e. packet modem and internet modem): sometime it happen strange things!
73 de iz7ath, Talino