Re: [SI-LIST] : Differential TDR "Measurements"

From: Dave Hoover ([email protected])
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 06:39:55 PDT

Patrick,

I asked a TDR Guru from Tek (MikeT) what his
enterpretation of approach 2 is and he sent the
following:

"Dave,

"Approach 1" is the ONLY correct way to measure
differential impedance.

"Approach 2" is NOT differential impedance. It is two
regular or single-ended TDR measurements. I don't
know what "magic of mathematics" is referred to, but I
do know that there is no way to compute true
differential impedance using two regular TDR
measurements. What CAN be done, is to MODEL a change
in single ended impedance and CORRELATE that to a
change in differential impedance. This is called
modeling, and like all modeling, it is only as good as
the model, and the ASSUMPTIONS that go into the
model.

Differential Impedance is DEFINED as two times the odd
mode impedance. Odd mode impedance is DEFINED as the
impedance measured on one of the lines, while the
other line is being driven by an equal amplitude,
opposite polarity TDR pulse. There is NO question
about it, there is exactly one correct way to MEASURE
it.

In my opinion, modeling has a place in printed circuit
board manufacturing - in DESIGN!

Quality Control Test should be about making
independent measurements, that make NO ASSUMPTIONS
about the design."

(Dave speaking here) I wasn't quite sure what you
meant with the approach 2 until I saw MikeT's
response.
If MikeT describes that test correctly, then I
understand it better. Fabricators used this method
for years before we had any way to TDR test
differential signals. Main reason being was we only
had one sampling head. Yes, we could correlate back
to a given reading and lot of PCBs. Correlation HAD
to be done for each design lot (part number). This was
time consuming and awkward. Then decent equipment came
around with multiple sampling heads that allowed us to
really test differential (odd mode). I have to say I'm
in agreement with MikeT's response.

Dave Hoover
(BTW - I co-chair IPC-2141 - Controlled Impedance
Circuit Boards and High Speed Logic Design.)
--- "Zabinski, Patrick J." <[email protected]>