RE: [SI-LIST] : Differential TDR "Measurements"

From: Allen Fernandez ([email protected])
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 05:50:32 PDT

Farrokh,

Even when differential traces are far apart, if the common-mode noise is
conducted (e.g. from the driver), you will still maintain common-mode
rejection at the receiver. If the common mode noise is radiated, however,
one trace could pick up more of this common-mode noise than the other,
resulting in less common-mode rejection.

The benefit of putting differential traces very close together is EMI
reduction. This results from one trace's magnetic fields canceling the
other's because the signals are 180 degrees out of phase with each other.
This benefit is offset by a reduced characteristic impedance adding
complexity to termination design by requiring accurate simulation and/or
characterization of the differential traces.

Regards,

Allen