Re: [SI-LIST] : CHIP INDUCTOR Q AND L AS FUNCTION OF ORIENTATION *****

From: Bob Lewandowski ([email protected])
Date: Fri Feb 23 2001 - 13:02:49 PST

The potential issue is the proximity of the inductor to a piece of metal, such
as a circuit board ground plane, other traces, or just the mounting pads. It's
a well known effect that you can change the value of an inductor by bringing a
significant sized piece of non-ferrous metal near it. Brass slugs were used for
tuning inductors in the "olden days". The tuning range of this effect is small
and depends on the construction of the inductor and the proximity of the metal
to the high magnetic flux areas. I believe the effect is due to eddy currents
induced in the metal producing a 'countering' field that reduces the flux
linking the turns in the inductor. This effect also reduces the Q of the
inductor due to the induced eddy current losses in the metal. The so called
"Shorted Turn" effect.

There is also the effect of adjacent dielectric materials. These cause a second
order effect by increasing the parasitic inter-winding capacitance, which will
lower the self resonant frequency, and if the coil is being operated close to
the self resonant frequency, will change the apparent inductance.

The bottom line is to position the inductor so the magnetic flux linking the
turns is least influenced by the circuit board and traces on it, and adjacent
components, particularly other inductors. Keep the inductor as much in "free
space" as is physically possible. Sometimes it not obvious how to do that with
inductors whose innards are hidden from view. "Solder and See" is a frequently
a good approach.

---Bob Lewandowski
    Vixel Corp.