RE: [SI-LIST] : D/W vs. S/H

From: Doug Hopperstad ([email protected])
Date: Thu Nov 30 2000 - 08:53:00 PST

Ken,
Your comments about crosstalk didn't mention the effects of the signal edge
rate, trace length or if you were using stripline ,microstrip, etc. The edge
rate will greatly effect the amount of crosstalk seen by the victim trace
for a given setup. Also, the crosstalk will reach a maximum value when the
round trip time (2*Tpd) is equal to the edge rate (Tr). I was looking at
your example regarding the 5 mil trace width, 5 mil plane separation with
100mV (assume peak-to-peak). What is the trace length and edge rates used in
the calculation? Also you didn't mention the board material, i.e. FR4 is
assumed. The amount of crosstalk decreases by a factor of 4 for each linear
increase in spacing. Can you provide more details on how you arrived at your
values?

Doug Hopperstad
QLogic Corporation
[email protected]