[SI-LIST] : Re: Diff probes for tdr.

From: Ken Taylor ([email protected])
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 18:30:34 PDT

John Fisher's solution below is a very good one that I have used
extensively. Although a little clumsy mechanically (you will want to use a
probe positioner, hold the probe at about 45 degrees to get the tips and the
ground to contact, keep the tips and ground path VERY short like 2 mm or so)
they give great results. One more thing, however: If the probe impedance
doesn't match your DUT impedance, you will get reflections etc. and you
won't be able to see anything close in to the contact point. To solve that,
match the impedances as closely as possible, keep the probe (semi rigid
stuff) more than, say, 6" long, and then all the mismatch will be at the
flexible cable/probe connection, and you can keep it out of the way of your
measurements. These probes work well for 17 pS Tr.
One last thing, these things were whipped up for customers by friendly Tek
AEs, and weren't part numbered for sale. (How can you charge $5000 for these
things? Can't, so they don't sell them!) The real Tek (and Agilent) probes
looked nice, are definitely nicer mechanically, but can't hold a light to
these "do it yourself" probes.

Regards, Ken.

Ken Taylor
Polar Instruments, Portland, OR, USA.
[email protected]

John said
<<We have built these using equal length sections of semi rigid coax with
sma's at one end. The semi rigid copper outer shield is soldered together
approx. every 3 &quot;.&nbsp; Prepare the ends by careful cutting of the
shield with an exacto knife,&nbsp; than solder the center conductors to
the launch point vias or pads. Tektronix shipped some of&nbsp; these to
us as accessories when we bought their IPA-510 a few years ago.&nbsp; I
might be able to find a tek part number but someone like Micro-Coax could
make some for you or find an off the shelf semi rigid assembly with sma's
on both ends and then just cut it in half. Be carful not to bend it too
much and kink it.&nbsp; These can also make nice 50 Ohm 10x passive
probes with the addition of a series 450 resistor at the end.<br> >>