Re: [SI-LIST] : Adding inductors to ground?

From: Scott McMorrow ([email protected])
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 16:15:24 PST

Chris,

For pll inputs, where there is a small current flow and small
or negligible instantaneous current, inductors can be placed
in the power and ground circuits to totally isolate the PLL
power from high frequency noise components. The assumption
here is that the PLL circuit is running in a linear mode
of operation with little or no transient current.

One could argue that isolating only the Vcc pin for an analog
device, without also isolating the ground pin through ferrites
only isolates the device from half of the possible noise. Since
ground still wiggles, there will be noise on the PLL Vcc pin
relative to ground. Isolation using two ferrites would provide
higher noise isolation. However, one must be sure to provide
adequate isolation from other parasitics where noise
could be coupled into the circuit, such as nearby signal lines,
coupled pins in the package, large planes or fill areas where
there could be additional capacitive coupling parasitics ... etc.

regards,

scott

--
Scott McMorrow