[SI-LIST] : Opinions on SI CAE tools

From: Eli Fernald ([email protected])
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 15:26:39 PST

    I may be sorry for the volume of commentary this generates, but I
imagine it may be useful for quite a few SI beginners such as myself. I
am a freshout at a startup trying to decide on an SI tool for our
company to purchase. XTK from Viewlogic and Mentor's Interrconnectix
are the two main packages I have been looking at. We hope to spend
somewhere below $40K for a license and will probably be using Design
Architect for schematic capture and board design. Signal frequencies
are mostly around 250 MHz, but to make things more interesting we have
a few traces which will contain signals with ~50ps edge rates.
    How easy to learn/use are the two aforementioned tools? Will they
both analyze important effects that we care about at these edge rates?
Are any of the smaller companies'(Sigrity, Ansoft) tools more
useful/cost effective? Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

                                    Regards,

                                    Eli