Re: [SI-LIST] : receiver jitter

From: D. C. Sessions ([email protected])
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 11:57:14 PST

"ARNOLD,PETER (HP-Cupertino,ex3)" wrote:

> My biggest problem with behavioral simulation is analysis of the results at
> the receivers when signal quality is known to be less than perfect. At the
> moment I get reports that give max flight time to a receiver threshold, and
> indicate if multi-crossing errors or non-monotonicity occur. So I set a
> certain standard for these and offset my thresholds by a certain amount and
> call one side pass and the other fail. In reality I suspect some of my
> failing waveforms would actually be correctly received by the real silicon -
> those with a minor level of ringback well after the main transition,
> perhaps, or a tiny kink. I can't examine every plot by eye to determine
> this.
>
> I would prefer a more sophisticated receiver model that can indicate to me
> whether the real silicon would have detected the level accurately in the
> time allowed. I would get that from Spice-level models. Could an XTK-type
> receiver model be made smart enough to do the same?

That's exactly the issue addressed by BIRD61, BIRD62, and BIRD63. JEDEC's
JC-42 memory committee ran into the same problem (nonideal input waveforms)
and asked IBIS to solve it. A working group came up with a proposal, but
the rate of progress is a function of the pressure applied. If you want
results, start making your needs known. (Volunteering your time to help
with the work wouldn't hurt, either.)

--
D. C. Sessions