Re: [SI-LIST] : si-list crash addendum

From: D. C. Sessions ([email protected])
Date: Tue Nov 23 1999 - 13:05:46 PST

Adrian Shiner wrote:

> I'll second that. Irrespective of the immediate personal need, it is a good
> forum. I also second the many requests to suppress the adverts for
> employment opportunities in particular..of no value to me and wasting my
> money. We residents of the UK are still getting S*****D to access the
> Internet.

IMHO a www-page with (weekly?) digest of links to this forum would
be a good compromise. Employers could post to the "board" and the
digest would direct people to new postings.

> Anyone working on slowing switching time in ICs where they are not
> absolutely necessary? You chip designers and fabricators are strangely quiet
> on this subject. Surely you are not playing the olld "CAVEAT EMPTOR" game?
> If you are, then shame on you.

[Speaking for Philips]
Last week we had a meeting of the corporate SI&EMC community.
The main emphasis is that Philips' primary tool for limiting
SI & EMC problems is edge-rate control; our standard libraries
have 5000, 10000, and 20000-ps edge time parts.

[Speaking for DCS]
... which causes quite a bit of trouble when my customers are
exclusively interested in system cycle times under 3000 ps.
My job is solving my customers' problems, and the solution
MUST begin with them.

[Speaking for the semi manufacturers]
[Yeah, right, Intel is gonna let me speak for THEM???]
It's a supply-and-demand problem. We *know* we have customers
who will pay for let-it-all-hang-out speed. They get taken
care of. If there's a demand (as in pounds, francs, Deutschmarks,
lira, guilders, etc.) then we'll be more than happy to fill it.
Money talks, and if you don't ask you won't receive.

> Adrian

D. C. Sessions