Re: [SI-LIST] : Intel apparenly has found the Rambus problem on the 820

Mike Mayer ([email protected])
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 10:39:04 -0500 (CDT)

> That's pretty much the picture that I put together when the news
> broke, but the more interesting question is what Intel plans to
> do to dodge the problem. Such as redesign all existing
> motherboards and restrict future designs to 2 RIMMS instead of
> three.

They are apparently planning to release the motherboards as 2-RIMM
boards:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/991015-000019.html

> Well, that should make the thermal situation better too, but
> it's not going to endear them to the server manufacturers, who
> were starting to look like their only friends. Oops.

Oops is right. I talked to a Micron rep a week or so ago and he said
the power dissipation on their RAMBUS parts was still TBD.

Mike Mayer                               Artesyn Communication Products, Inc
Senior Hardware Design Engineer          Madison, WI
[email protected]                http://www.artesyn.com/cp