RE: [SI-LIST] : Noise Voltage levels vs. EMI levels

Steve Weir ([email protected])
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 14:02:44 -0700

I think that Larry brings up very valid points on measurement. However, we
still have the issue for single-ended signals that as the local ground
potential at the transmitting device differs from the the ground potential
at the receiving device. This potential difference may be propagating from
near either end, or some point in-between, in which case, it is
differential to the signal for some time to either or both ends.

At the receiver that ground noise directly subtracts from the signal noise
margins. The overall effect is measureable as apparent noise on the signal
at the receiver compared to the receiver ground. The most aggregious
example I can think of is an ESD discharge into the ground plane near a
receiver. On a good day, the receive signal is corrupted. On a bad day,
all the smoke comes out.

Regards,

Steve.