Organizations, Groups and Clubs
- FCC - Federal Communications Commission
- ARRL - American Radio Relay League
- 6th District QSL Bureau.
- W5YI Group
- AMSAT- Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation.
- TAPR - Tucson Amateur Packet Radio.
These are the guys who invented packet radio.
- QCWA - Quarter Century Wireless Association.
Prove you were a ham 25 years ago and you can join. Whee, I can't wait
to be called an "Old Man."
- Courage HANDI-HAM System -
this organization is by and for people with disabilities who would
otherwise find it difficult to become hams.
California Clubs and Organizations
- Northern California:
- Southern California:
- Some Open Linked Systems:
Great Pages about Specific Ham Interests
- Official PSK31 Page -
find out all about this new digital mode.
If you're using a computer with a sound card, you already have much of what
you need (other than a transceiver) to get on the air with it.
- W4RNL's Antenna Pages. This guy discusses nearly every
HF antenna with very detailed articles from his appearances at Dayton and
other ham conventions.
- APRS - Automatic Position Reporting System
- APRS - A different site from someone else
- IRLP - Internet Radio Linking Project
- N2JEU's HF Internet remote base software
- AB5P's Transmitter Hunting Page
- KB6MMF's Amateur Television Network
- Ashley's Space World by WB5OTD
- SAREX - Shuttle Amateur Radio Experiment
- SpaceNews (ham satellite newsletter, published each Monday)
- N6FRI's APRS/GPS Page
- Slow Scan Television
- KN6LA's California 6 Meter List
- N0IAK's Colorado Amateur Radio
- KB7PZS's Utah Amateur Radio
- NL7J's Alaska Amateur Radio
- WZ1V's Northeast Weak Signal VHF Pages
- WA7S tells you how to make your own QSL cards!
Practice License Exams
- Vanity Callsign HQ - Go here first.
- QRZ.com - this has other useful tips.
- FCC's FAQ about Vanity Callsigns. Study it carefully.
- ULS page at FCC - where you actually apply for your vanity call.
- QSL Card Printers:
- QSL Shop - good photo work
- FDS Graphics - ditto.
- Octavia - nice looking cards,
but Russian customs can delay shipping from these guys for months.
- Star Quality QSLs (WX9X) - good designs,
unfortunately every other ham seems to have the same card.
- Rusprint - reasonable selection and
- W4MPY - more cookie-cutter cards.
- QSL Card Printer - cheap and quick and simple,
and you have to admire this Canadian's spirit.
Solar Conditions and Propagation
Important in almost all ham bands, 160 meters all the way to UHF.
And other assorted stuff
Ever hear of a fellow named
Sure you have! And now here's the real story behind him!
Read it all right here.