Re: [SI-LIST] : Decoupling Capacitors and SSN

From: Josip Popovic ([email protected])
Date: Mon Aug 28 2000 - 09:03:26 PDT

All,

purpose of Larry's (attached) message was not to explain SSO however I
have a quick comment related to the 3rd paragraph:

wouldn't Zo od a transmission line loaded by a capacitor (Cd) change and
be different then Zo of a line with a resistive load:

Zo'=Zo/(SQRT(1+Cd/Co))

where:

Zo' is new characteristic impedance of the loaded transmission line,
Cd is a capacitive load (per the transmission length).
Co intristic capacitance (per length)

I do not think that an ideal transmission line model (as is one that
comes with HSPICE for example) would show this change in Zo.

For example a generic Zo=50 ohm, 6" long microstrip line with 5 pF load
would have Zo' app 39 ohm.

So simulating SSO with output drivers driving an ideal transmission line
with capacitive load would have driver output current:

Io= Vdd/(Rs+Zo) where Rs is (static) driver output impedance

that is different than

Io'= Vdd/(Rs+Zo') as it should be.

Comments?

Josip