[SI-LIST] : SI-LIST malfunction

From: Ray Anderson ([email protected])
Date: Thu Nov 18 1999 - 21:40:23 PST

Not sure what happened today. I was out of the office all day at a meeting
and when I logged into my workstation tonite there were literally hundreds
of error messages generated by the mailserver waiting in my inbox.

It looks like there may have been some sort of network failure somewhere
that caused mail to be resent over and over. The destination addresses
were primarily dec.com, uiuc.edu, mayo.edu, screen.co.jp, pii.com, corning.com,
and abc.net.au and perhaps a few others that seemed to cause all the errors.
I'm not sure if there is anything in common amongst them.

Apparently the massive amount of bouncers caused the mail list software
to get it's little brain muddled and go into some sort of mode that was
sending double messages to at least some of the list subscribers.

I've re-booted the silab machine. Hopefully things settle down.

Sorry for the confusion (technical difficulties beyond our control etc.. :)

-Ray