RE: [SI-LIST] : IBIS and bipolar emitter followers?

From: Ingraham, Andrew ([email protected])
Date: Thu Nov 18 1999 - 19:18:03 PST

>The last time I looked at IBIS models, they only had
>voltage sources and resistors. But that was awhile back.

Perhaps that was a very long while back. As far as I know, IBIS always used
nonlinear I-V curves to represent pull-up, pull-down, and clamp devices.

An output emitter follower (say, an ECL output) would be represented by such
I-V curves, which would tell the simulator how to react to the reflection
that biases the emitter follower off. There are few limits on how nonlinear
an IBIS I-V curve can be, if that's what the real device does.

This doesn't say that IBIS correctly models all second- and third-order
effects like stored charge and such (though perhaps it does) ... but at
least it is quite capable of handling your reflections into emitter
followers.

Regards,
Andy