Licensing information for Greece including Islands - SV

Prepared by: OH2MCN - Veke & OH1KAG/OH9MM - Juha & I2WIJ/J49WI - Bob, SV2AEL - Savas, ARRL, OH2MCN, SV1IW - Manos
Status: January 1997, July '98, Dec '99 links added, Apr '00 new tel/fax., May 2000, August 2001, Oct 2001, July 2003, Feb 2005, Nov 2006

Greece implements CEPT Recommendation TR 61-01 and no separate license is needed if you have joined CEPT.
(There are no important restrictive footnotes any more in the ERO list although EER still demands EU membership.)
For other than CEPT countries the following is the best information that we have.

This is copied on 7 November 2006 (source dated 12.7.2006) from

See also the info of SV2AEL at QSL.NET (partly outdated).


FCC Public Release, 8 June1999 U.S. Ham radio operators having any licence other than the Novice class, may now temporarily operate amateur radio stations in European (CEPT) countries. This new rule makes it easy to operate while travelling in Europe.

Licensed radio amateurs coming from countries - members of CEPT

Radio amateurs, citizens of a country - member or the Conference of Europe for Post-offices and Telecommunications (CEPT) - who possess a valid radio amateur license, which brings written evidence that it is issued according to the constitution T/R 61-01 of CEPT, have the right to operate their amateur radio stations as "portable" and "mobile" (not a fixed station ) while their visit in Greece without having to issue a Greek license. The operation is according to the category of their radio amateur licenses. These "mobile" or "portable" stations can be powered from main power on the temporary place of stay (hotels, guest rooms etc). If stay is extended beyond 6 months it has to be declared at the Ministry of Transport and Communications and a special permit will be granted.

If a radio amateur, citizen of a CEPT country, wishes to stay permanently in Greece it may be using his amateur radio station only if a "special Greek license" is granted.

What stands for amateurs, citizens of CEPT counties also stands for those amateurs coming from countries that have signed the CEPT T/R 61.01. The Ministry of Communications keeps and publishes a list of all applicable countries.

CEPT LICENSE CLASS 1 YOU USE: SV(1-9) + home call /p(ortable) or m(obile) for HF + VHF

CEPT LICENSE CLASS 2 YOU USE: SW(1-9) + home call /p(ortable) or m(obile) for VHF and up

CEPT LICENSE CLASS 3 (novice) Not supported - cannot operate

**In order to use HF you must have been licensed under morse code profficiency. Licenses which have been upgraded to full privilleges or have been issued for full privilleges without morse code are aloud to use 2M and up!**

Licensed radio amateurs coming from countries - non members of CEPT

Licensed radio amateurs citizens of countries that are not members of CEPT, but do have reciprocal agreement with Greece may operate their amateur radio stations during their stay in the country which could not be more than 3 months. The applicant should notify the Ministry of Transport and Communications at least 2 months in advance of his arrival, declaring the type of equipment brought to the country.

The Ministry of Transport and Communications keeps a list on it's web site ( ) with all foreign amateurs known of coming to Greece to operate their amateur radio station.

If the radio amateur wishes to stay for more than 3 months a "special Greek temporary license" has to be granted.

Operating from Mt. Athos

The operation within the district of Mt. Athos is subject to the official written permission of the local administration of the holy community.

Operating on 6 meters

Operation on 6 Meters is now permitted to non Greek Citizens (stilll under CEPT and must be licenced with morse code profficiency)

Applying for permanent or temporary license

When you apply either for permanent or temporary license use English and include the following information:

1. Personal ID details of the radio amateur including his/her national call sign, home address and address while staying in Greece.

2. A photocopy of his/her national radio amateur operating license.

3. A statement containing the number of transmitting and receiving equipment to be imported and used which also must include the brand, type, serial number, frequency coverage and power output of each equipment.

4. the intended place of operation.

Operating with a temporary license

The foreign radio amateur with a temporary license must identify his/her station while in Greece using:

1. The Greek call sign prefix: SV

2. Followed by the appropriate region number 1 to 9 (Find the proper region number)

3. Followed by the symbol: / (stroke)

4. Followed by his/her own national call sign

5. Followed by the letter M for mobile, P for portable, MM for maritime mobile

Greek Band Plan


Band USE

135.7-137.8 ΚΗΖ LF (1) 2200 m Temporary (2)

1810-1850 HF 160 m Primary

3500-3800 HF 80 Primary

7000-7100 HF 40 Primary

7100-7200 (3) HF 40 Primary

10100-10150 HF 30 Secondary

14000-14350 HF 20 Primary

18068-18168 HF 18 Primary

21000-21450 HF 15 Primary

24890-24990 HF 12 Primary

28000-29700 KHZ HF 10 Primary


50.00-52.00 MHZ VHF(1) 6 Temporary

70.20-70.25 MHZ VHF 4 Temporary (4)

(1) : LF: Low Frequencies

HF: High Frequencies

VHF: Very High Freq.

UHF: Ultra High Freq.

SHF: Super High Freq.

EHF: Extra High Freq.

(2) : Power 1W EIRP.

(3) : After March 30 2009.

(4) : Same use as in 50-52MHZ.

(5) : Satellite use only after coordination with MOC.

(6) : Satellite use only after coordination with MOC.

1. SV call holders use all bands. 2. SW call holders use 144 MHz band and up.

Power 500 W Output


144-146 MHz

Power 100 W Output

Repeater shift -600 KHz

Subaudio (mostly) 88.5 Hz


430-440 MHz

Power 100 W Output

Repeater shift -1.6 MHz

Subaudio 88.5 Hz

The licensee must observe ITU regulations and must comply with the relevant regulations concerning the Amateur Radio Service, prevailing in Greece.

For Applications and Information Contact:


Dpt. of Communication Control




Telephone: (210) 650 8000, (210) 650 8555

fax. +30 210 650 8460


Australia, USA, Canada, Cyprus, Switzerland


Official web site of the National Radio Amateur Association of Greece

All material in the RAAG Web site is Copyrighted.

Paperwork needed:
The best way to get a license:
Special calls:
How long before you can operate?
License restrictions:
Useful local contacts:
Places to operate from:

Travel info: DESTINATION GREECE and subWWWay to Greece

Back to MENU