Licensing information for Saint Lucia - J6

Prepared by: OH2MCN - Veke & F5CCO - Eric & N0UHV - Joe & Alan - G3XAQ & Al - K2PJT & Dale - G3VMK & Bill - WB5ZAM/GM5CEV/ DL2WI, Karl - N1DL, V44/N1DL, J79DL, V25DL, FY/N1DL, N1DL/HI7, VP2V/N1DL & K9HZ / 8P6HK / J68HZ - Bill

Status: Jan-96, Jan '98, July '99 links added, May '02, Apr '03, Mar '04, Mar '04, May '05, Sep '08

Intro: If you have a foreign ham license, you have no problems to get a license in Saint Lucia. (See latest addition)

PTT (from ITU database):
National Telecommunications Regulatory Commission (NTRC)
Global Tile World Building
PO Box GM690
Bois D'Orange
St Lucia WI

Telephone +1 758 458 2035
Telefax +1 758 453 2558
Email: [email protected] 
Internet : NTRC and appl forms

Physical location:

Paperwork needed:
See the application form file.
abt 10 USD; EC 25

[email protected]

Fayolle Eric < [email protected] >

Addition from: Dr. William J. Schmidt, II [[email protected]
Date: 09 September 2008

I was there August 23 – September 1, 2008 and received J68HZ after several months of negotiations and paperwork. Part of the procedure you must complete via the mail and wait, and the rest must be done in person (there is no other way as I will explain below). The new license process is a very long and involved process. The bright spot is that the St. Lucian are the most friendly people on earth and make it all worth it! None of the earlier procedures are valid any more.

Part 1. Before you go to St. Lucia:

1. Fill out the application listed on their telecom website: 
also at j6a.pdf
2. If you plan to bring in radio equipment, fill out the customs form on their website: 
also at j6_cust.pdf
3. Send completed application, copies of your passport and your home country license, and passport-sized photo, and custom form to:
#35 Chisel Street
P.O. Box GM690
Castries, St. Lucia, W.I
4. The information on the NTRC website is out of date. You can call them at (758) 458-2035 for more information.
5. The Minister of communications must approve your application. This can take a long time…6 months. Once it is approved, you will receive a letter from the NTRC/ Ministry of Communications, Works, and Public Utilities which states that you must pay the license fee of $50 EC at the Inland Revenue Department (in person) in order to get your license.

Part 2. After you arrive on St. Lucia:
1. Take a cab with the above approval letter to the Heraldine Rock Building on the Water Front on Castries Bay… its located right on John Compton Highway, which is the main hi-way through Castries.
2. Sign in and take the elevator to the 3rd floor. Go through the doors to the Accountant General’s office (which is another name for the taxation office).
3. Go to your left all the way around and back the hallway to the end… until you get to a door that is in the middle of the walk way. Tell the guy at the desk that you are there to register…to get a Tax Account Number (TAN). You must get a TAN in order to appear in St. Lucia’s taxation computer system…in order to pay for your license. You MUST give them a local address for the record (even if it is just your resort address).
4. After you get your Tax Account Number, go back to the desk just after you get inside the Accountant General’s office door. Give the woman your approval letter which states that you must pay $50EC to the Accountant General. She will print a bill for you to pay with your TAN on it.
5. Go to the windows at the left of the three desks where you just got the bill. This is the Comptrollers window where you pay the $50 fee. You will get a Taxpayer’s receipt. The assessment is for the remaining part of the current year. I am told that you can pay up to 3 years in advance if you would want.
6. Now you must go to the actual Ministry of Communications, Works, Transport and Public Utilities to get your actual license. Take a cab to the Union Building in Union. As you travel North out of Castries on John Compton Highway, the road to Union is the road to the right out of the round-about just before you enter Gros Islet (see the Gros Islet sign). The Ministry of Communications, Works, Transport and Public building is the first Major right after leaving the round-about.
7. Sign in at the Ministry of Communications, Works, Transport and Public. Go up to the second floor in the back left corner to the Ministries of Communication office. There are two gentlemen that assign radio licenses… Mr. Flood and Mr. Felicien (phone number (758) 468-4367). You can ask for either. Show them your receipt from paying the tax for your license… and they will assign your license for the first year (the second year you do this, you will get your permanent license and permanent call). You can begin operating then, but they fill forward your license to you in paper form to your home address.
8. You can contact cabbie Francis Mason at (758) 458-9546 to take you to all these places including the NTRC. He has done this before with me.

Other issues:
1. Luggage is checked for radio equipment. You must present your customs form that has been approved by the NTRC to get radio equipment into the country. Get several copies. In a pinch, the NTRC can fax or email you approved forms.
2. Luggage is not checked for radio equipment when leaving St. Lucia.
3. The first year you get a license…its not permanent (you use your call/J68). The second year you can get a permanent J68 license.
4. You can renew your license by paying the fee in person again at the Accountant General’s office between January and April of the next year.


Dr. William J. Schmidt, II K9HZ/ 8P6HK/ J68HZ
Trustee of the North American QRO - Central Division Club - Superstation K9ZC
Owner/ Operator of Big Signal Ranch, Inc. Staunton, Illinois.
Email: [email protected] 

Addition From: "Karl Geng" <[email protected]
To: <[email protected]
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 

I recently came back from a multi-island ham tour thru the Caribbean. (VP2V, HI, V44, J7, FY, V2 and J6).
Started 4 months before to secure licenses and was successful in all countries except Saint Lucia. The system there is not geared up for consistent ham licensing. Even with the intervention of a local senator who is also a ham (J69BB) and many phone calls, faxes, the proper application form, copies of license, photos, passport and fees the result was no licence when I arrived in St.Lucia.

As it was the day of their annual Hamboree I met many hams and they confirmed that the licensing process is not geared up for ham radio. Every application is treated like a commercial one and every single one has to go to the Minister for approval. Obviously 4 months are not enough for them to handle this. For me it was bittersweet because almost 30 years ago before St. Lucia's independence I was licensed as VP2LAG but this time unable to get a J6 license.

The local hams with J69BB's help are trying to rectify this situation and we can only hope they succeed.

73 de N1DL Karl (V44/N1DL, J79DL, V25DL, FY/N1DL, N1DL/HI7, VP2V/N1DL in March/April 2005)

Addition From: "Dale Chadwick" <[email protected]
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 

Dear Veikko

I have just returned from a holiday in St Lucia, having successfully obtained a licence as J6/G3VMK with help from your page, many thanks!

It may be worth noting as an update:

In the course of the licensing process I received a confirmation letter stating that details of my equipment had been forwarded to Customs; on arrival I was informed that I needed this "permit" to bring my equipment in and on checking in the Customs office this was already there, but could have caused the difficulties mentioned by K2PJT if it had not been!

One thing that needs to be forewarned - I was asked the equipment value, and on giving this I was asked for a cash deposit of 1/3 of this figure, in either EC or US $ - no credit cards. This would be refunded on departure, subject to the equipment serial numbers being checked off OK. As I did not have the necessary funds I offered a rough equivalent in UK pounds instead, which was (luckily) accepted. The refund process on departure was very quick - the Customs desk at Hewanorra is to the right of the baggage security check point after entry through the "Departures" door.

Miss Marius at the NTRC dealt with the application throughout and she was very polite and efficient. Licence cost still EC$ 25

All in all a fantastic vacation, with massive pileups even from 100W and a 10m wire!

Dale G3VMK

Addition From: ajernst <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 03

My experience with St. Lucia in February of 2003 was difficult. I began the application process a year in advance and seemed to have everything in order until I tried to pass St. Lucia Customs. At that time I was told that my equipment would be seized because the St. Lucia National Telecommunications Regulatory Commission neither documented my equipment nor issued a license to operate in St. Lucia. Customs did not recognize any reciprocal licensing agreement with the US. Furthermore, I was warned that I would be subject to a $5000 fine and confiscation of property if caught in St. Lucia with unauthorized radio equipment. Several days after arriving I personally presented newly issued NTRC documents to airport customs. Customs then informed me that I needed to
pay $374 US dollars in import security fees to cover the value of my equipment plus 40 per cent. I refused to do this. Finally, when I tried to repossess my equipment upon departing the island I was informed that it was not available and would have to be left behind. After two months of work, the NTRC was able to gather my equipment from St. Lucia Customs and ship it to me.
St. Lucia is a wonderful vacation spot that appears to be now marred by inhospitable regulations toward American ham radio operators. Anyone may contact me for the complete version of what happened.


Addition From: "Alan Ibbetson" < [email protected] >
Subject: J6 licensing update
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 21:11:25 +0100


I just returned from a few days operating as J6/G3XAQ. Here is a minor update on obtaining a licence.

The licence office referred to in Micoud St (actually it was in Bridge St, opposite the Kentucky Fried Chicken place) moved over a year ago to the main government offices outside Castries in l'Union beyond the power station. In April 2002 they moved offices again, to

National Telecommunications Regulatory Commission (NTRC)
PO Box GM690
Vlde Boutielle
St Lucia WI

To drive there, leave the centre of Castries on the main road going north towards Gros Islet. About a mile after Vigie airport you will see American Drywall on your right and Home Depot on your left. Turn left towards the ocean at the lights immediately after Home Depot. There is a 3ft by 2ft sign for NTRC at this junction, but you'll probably not see it. The NTRC offices are after the school, about 100 yds from the main road.

Perry Mason has moved onward and upward. Amateur licences are now dealt with by Miss Michele Marius. She processed my licence renewal very efficiently in about ten minutes (once I'd spent 2 hours finding the NTRC offices!). The annual cost has risen to EC$25, or US$10.

Enjoy the beach and the pileups. 73, Alan/G3XAQ

Addition from: [email protected]

Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 02:17:54 -0500 (EST)
Please note new area code for St. Lucia is (758) or SLU. Many Carribean islands have droped the (809) area code for their individual one. Also note price for licence is 20 Eastern Caribbian dollars (= to US$8) for one year (exp. 31 Dec each year).

Thanks NOUHV, J6/NOUHV ('93) & J68BV ('95 & '96)

DX Holiday J6 - St. Lucia

For travel info see:

Back to MENU