Licensing information for Thailand - HS

Prepared by: OH2MCN - Veke & K4VUD - Charly & DH2GZ/HS0ZEO - Guenther & G3NOM/HS0ZDZ - Ray & K4VUD/HS0ZCW  - Charly
Status: Feb 2002, Aug '03, Nov '03, Jun 10

Intro: Follow the instructions on the homepage of

Paperwork needed:
The best way to get a license:
Special calls:
How long before you can operate?
License restrictions:
Useful local contacts:
Places to operate from:
See also K4VUD Charles Harpone's article in DX Magazine, Jan./Feb. 1999.
[email protected]

Addition From: Zwickl Guenter <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003

Upon taking up residence in Thailand foreigners of countries with reciprocal agreements with Thailand (currently USA, Switzerland, UK, Austria, Sweden and Germany) will upon application receive a HS0Zxx callsign in alphabetical order (they are somewhere at HS0ZET now). Applications as per RAST web site, contact RAST, namely HS0ZDZ (Ray) and/or HS1CHB (John) to assist you versus PTT. Other nationalities unfortunately cannot get a permanent HS0Zxx-license unless a reciprocal agreement is in place (go for it, I did for Austria), their only chance is to possibly operate as a guest op. at HS0AC in Bangkok (arrange with RAST in ample advance).

There are currently no CEPT-like short term guest licences
being issued, some old HS0/HC permanent licenses are still in the air but will not be issued any longer (though some exceptions for diplomats seem still to exist).

73 de Guenter (DH2GZ, HS0ZEO, OE1GZA, VR2GZ, 4Z8GZ)

Addition From: Charles Harpole [mailto:[email protected]
Date: June 2010 

Here is some summary information about Thailand ham radio for ARRL web site re op in foreign countries:

Licensing: Foreign citizens can operate ham radio in Thailand upon presenting the national club, Radio Amateur Society of Thailand (RAST), a valid license from their own country and becoming a RAST member.  These steps allow use of the club station, HS0AC, located on the Asian Institute of Technology campus in north-central Bangkok.  AIS has a hotel near the station.  Contact the Station Manager, via the RAST English language web site for specific details. [current ARRL info is correct on web address.]

Five year, renewable, reciprocal licenses can be obtained by non-Thai citizens upon presentation of a valid foreign ham license, limited to citizens of the listed nations only (current list is on RAST English language web site).  Other nationalities can not obtain a Thai ham license (but can operate the club station).   These reciprocal licenses will begin with HS0Zxx and are assigned sequentially by the Thai licensing authority.  Requests for specific call letters are not usually honored.  These licenses are intended for people who live or have long term visits in Thailand and not for a two week holiday, for example.  The Thai ham license tests are given only in Thai language, and it appears any foreigner can take that test with or without any other license.

Non-Thai citizens seeking Thai ham licenses need to apply in person at the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC, which is, in 2010, being reorganized and re-named) or arrange a proxy via RAST.  RAST will assist its members or will refer applicants to a local ham who is expert in these matters.  The processing time varies from several days to several weeks.  There is a fee.  The license, then, permits,  application for a station license and for importation of a ham rig.

Station license: All ham radio operators in Thailand who wish to set up their own private station must obtain a station license.  That process begins with obtaining an operator license (see above) and includes a separate NTC application with a map to the intended location and written approval from the owner of the land for the station to be established there.  The station license will include the RF output power limit of either 25 watts (low class license) or 200 watts (intermediate class).  Processing time varies from a few days to a few weeks.  It is renewable.  Mobile operations require a separate application.  Fees apply.

Importing ham radios: Only approved models of ham radios can be imported into Thailand.  The updated approved list is on the RAST web site.  In June 2010, no currently manufactured ham radio is on this list.  Importing radios on the approved list involves getting an import permit blank form, applying with the exact serial number and frequency data of the specific radio, and submitting the request.  Routinely granted, the import permit then allows the radio to enter Thailand.  Upon arrival, the radio will be taken by Thai customs authorities for inspection and can be retrieved from customs by paying the duty fee.  Processing time varies from a few weeks to a few months.  The radio is then legally inside Thailand but it can not be used without NTC approval.

The NTC will inspect the radio--with paperwork showing license, the import clearance, and the paid duty--and approve it and attach a numerical sticker to it.  At that point, this specific radio can be used to receive and transmit in Thailand by a licensed operator (who also has a station license).  There is a fee and the processing time varies from a few days to a few weeks.

Operating from Thailand: Thailand advises use of the standard band plans.  Allowed frequencies are updated on the RAST English language web site.  In 2010, the lower 25 kc. of the 80m and 160m bands are allowed, all modes, and from 144 to 146 MHz is permitted.  Six meters (50 to 54) is allowed in the July 2010 VHF contest only.  All other HF bands, as per Region, are allowed.  No transmission is allowed above 146 MHz.  There are no national restrictions on antennas, no shared-use bands, and no quiet hours. 

Alerts: -Do not bring in HTs or other non-approved radio transmitters.  Cel hand telephones are exempted required approval.
- Sadly, G3NOM, Ray, is very ill and no longer available to help anyone.
- HS1CHB has helped scores of applicants, for example.

Charles Harpole, HS0ZCW 

Back to MENU