This page describes the station and some of the activities of Finn Jensen, LA8YB, who went Silent Key in 2011 at the age of 82. His obituary (in Norwegian) is on the NRRL pages.
LA8YB Earth-Moon-Earth Station
Data for LA8YB 144 MHz EME antenna:
- Each individual 17 element
antenna has a length of 10 meters
- Total number of antennas is
32 arranged in an 8 by 4 rectangle.
- The array consists of 8
vertical booms each of length 12 m
- Stacking distance:
horizontally 4,22 m, vertically 3,96 m.
- The antennas are mounted on
a 32 m long horizontal boom
which is supported by 2 vertical masts each of length 9.5 m.
- The antenna is mounted on a
rail of diameter 10,3 m and may
rotate through 360 degrees.
- The phasing cables between
the antennas are 1/2" and 7/8"
cellflex. The feeder from the transmitter is diameter 3" with air
- Beamwidth is about 3.7 degrees and
total gain is about 29.4 dBd making
it possible to hear one's own EME signal with only 10 Watts.
- Pictures from
Some QSLs from past operations:
- LB8YB (JX, Jan Mayen), 1953:
- LB8YB (OX, Myggbukta,
- Have also been active as JW8YB and JX8YB
15 Sep 2005