Columbine Dedication


Image Created by Rodney L. Noga


After the Shooting at Columbine High School, I felt that I should put up a webpage
in dedication of Columbine. And here it is. I hope this never has to happen again.
This webpage will remain here forever.
Please enjoy the pages before you. Thank you. Justin

If you have a story, poem, letter or anything related to the Columbine
shooting please send them to me Or leave them on the MESSAGEBOARD
and I will add them to this pagefor others to read. Thank you.


This site will receive some updates soon.

The messageboard is OFF-Line.

As you all know Columbine students returned last week.

May we all help them through this time.




Never Forgotten......Always Remembered


Columbine- A Test of Time

Ernie Bjorkman and Wendy
Brockman look back at the
Columbine tragedy as families,
friends and an entire community
undergo the healing process.


Columbine High School Dedication




Cassie Bernall 
Steven Curnow
Corey DePooter
Kelly Fleming
Matthew Kechter
Daniel Mauser 
Daniel Rohrbough 
Rachel Scott 
Isaiah Shoels
John Tomlin 
Lauren Townsend 
Kyle Velasquez 
William "Dave" Sanders





Columbine Students Return
(June 2)

              In groups of 15, the students filed slowly into the hallways of their high school. After six
              weeks of closure, the students of Columbine High School were allowed back into the
              school to collect their personal belongings.

              Backpacks, glasses and purses were among the items left behind by the students as they
              fled the building on April 20th during the deadly rampage. Officials emptied lockers and
              the students' belongings were sorted, labeled and left in the gymnasium to be collected.
              Counselors were there for anyone who needed some support.  The library, science
              room and cafeteria are still closed, as the investigation in those areas continues.

              Police have taken down the crime scene tape that was around the school. But some
              students are still meeting with investigators to tell them what happened the day of the

              For the students, many were
              nervous about going into the
              school for the first time. They
              didn't know what to expect or
              how they'd react to seeing all of
              the damage. They say
              memories of their last moments
              in the school are all too vivid.
              Outside, the flags still fly at half staff, remembrances mark the tragedy and curious
              people still come to the school. 

              Students who were in the library during the shooting met with investigators. Together
              they walked through what happened that day. Parents saw a glimpse of what their kids
              have endured. Steve Cohen said being there was important, "To understand what he
              heard that he hasn't talked about yet and he may never he was pretty shook up about it
              the first couple of days then he shut down."

              Will Beck, a Columbine junior tells us he is looked forward to going back. "I think most
              of us want to be back so bad but some people are going to be a little scared and I can
              totally understand that, cuz it was a traumatic event and they might be a little scared to
              go back. But I think eventually we'll all be together and back at our school having fun."

              "I think they have such a spirit about them for reclaiming their school that that is a
              significant step that will be first going in there, getting their stuff and being in there
              together." said Carol Beck, Will's mom.


Columbine Tragedy Update

(May 28)

              Soon, Columbine students will be able to go back into their
              school and start reclaiming their belongings. Police have taken
              down the crime scene tape that was around the school. Some
              students are still meeting with investigators to tell them what
              happened the day of the shootings. Today, some went in with their parents to see and
              remember that day.

              For the students, many were nervous about going into the school for the first time. They
              didn't know what to expect or how they'd react to seeing all of the damage. They say
              memories of their last moments in the school are all too vivid. Outside, the flags still fly
              at half staff, remembrances mark the tragedy and curious people still come to the
              school. Inside, the investigation is wrapping up. 

              Students who were in the library during the shooting met with investigators. Together
              they walked through what happened that day. Parents saw a glimpse of what their kids
              have endured. Steve Cohen said being there was important, "To understand what he
              heard that he hasn't talked about yet and he may never he was pretty shook up about it
              the first couple of days then he shut down."

              Next Tuesday, they will be able to go back into the school to get backpacks, car keys
              and anything they might have left behind on April 20th.  Columbine's doors will be open
              to students and their parents from 8:30am to 10:30am Tuesday, on a staggered
              schedule. Counselors will be there for anyone who needs some support. 

              Will Beck, a Columbine junior tells us he is looking forward to going back. "I think
              most of us want to be back so bad but some people are going to be a little scared and I
              can totally understand that, cuz it was a traumatic event and they might be a little scared
              to go back. But I think eventually we'll all be together and back at our school having

              "I think they have such a spirit about them for reclaiming their school that that is a
              significant step that will be first going in there, getting their stuff and being in there
              together." said Carol Beck, Will's mom.

              Melissa Sanchez, a Columbine senior said, "Just to walk through the main hall again is
              going to be weird cause that's the hall I ran out of so I think it'll be kind of creepy but
              it'll also be a good idea to go in."


Carpenter Returns to Colorado for Permanent Memorial

              He has travelled thousands of miles to show 
              his respect to the Columbine victims. He
              has gone back and forth from Illinois
              to Colorado. Now his journey will
              finally be complete.
              Carpenter Greg Zanis from Chicago
              was back in Colorado this morning to
              plant 13 crosses in their new permanent home. 
              Zanis built the crosses in memory of the
              12 students and one teacher who died at Columbine. 

              He took the crosses back to Illinois once, then
              returned them, only to have to remove them
              again. Zanis says he is relieved the crosses will
              now be a permanent memorial to those who
              died, "These kids...the last thing they saw was a
              someone putting a gun to their heads...I lost my
              best friend that, I know what that's

              Greg Zanis says he plans to visit the Columbine 
              students who are still in the hospital
              before he goes back to Chicago. 


May 26th, 5:00 pm

Parents Meet With District Attorney

               Most of the parents of those who were killed or hurt in the Columbine shooting met
               privately this afternoon with Jeffco District Attorney Dave Thomas.   The meeting was
               called last week after several parents questioned the way donated money was being


First Lawsuit Related to Shootings

               The family of Isaiah Shoels will file the first lawsuit related to the Columbine shootings
               tomorrow.  The Shoels family will sue the parents of Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold
               for $250 million dollars. Their attorney is Jeffrey Feiger, who once represented Dr.
               Jack Kevorkian, and most recently won a lawsuit against the Jenny Jones show. 
               Fieger says "Harris and Klebold could not have developed and executed their
               violence without the negligence of the parents and possibly others."


Victim's Family Faces Another Hurdle

               The father of a Columbine shooting victim has recently learned he has cancer. 

               Just yesterday, Rick Castaldo helped his son move from Swedish Hospital to Craig
               Rehabilitation Hospital. Today, he talked to 9News about his own diagnosis of
               Hodgkins Disease and how his son took the news. 

               Richard Castaldo is undergoing rehabilitation at Craig Hospital. A bullet shattered one
               of his vertebra and damaged his spinal cord. 

               "He was one of the first people I told privately, and he asked me what my treatment
               would be and how I would get along and I joked with him and told him I'd probably
               lose some hair, a lot of hair and I'd get well and I'd get sick on and off and I'm glad he
               is here for me."

               Rick Castaldo found out about his cancer ten days after the Columbine shootings. He
               is now going through chemotherapy. His doctors say they caught the cancer very early
               and they are certain he can beat it. 


Columbine Tragedy Update
May 21st

  Memories Preserved

 Cards, flowers and stuffed animales filled
  Clement Park in the days after the shooting. Rain
 and snow threatened to ruin the precious
    momentos. People have come together to save
 the memories so important to the Columbine community. 

  Treasured memories; bears, notes, even a 
Columbine Class Ring from 1985. They
              want to preserve every message, every bear. Everything 
came from someone who
              cares, someone trying to reach out and ease the pain. 

              It is hoped that the things left at Clement Park will eventually
              be part of a permanent memorial to the people killed and
              injured at Columbine High School. 


President Clinton Meets with Columbine Community

              One month after the Columbine shootings, PresidentClinton 
and the First Lady visited
               with family members of those killed in the
               shooting, and later with the students and
               teachers from Columbine. They wanted to
               assure students that they can feel safe in
               their school. 

               The President was the first to arrive at
               DIA, aboard Air Force One just after 1:00
               pm. Among those greeting him was Former
              Energy Secretary and Denver Mayor Federico 
              Pena. Clinton had to wait about a half
              hour for his wife to arrive. Because of different 
              travel schedules, she was aboard
              another plane.   Once the First Lady arrived, the
             Clinton's boarded the Marine One
              helicopter and took off for Littleton. 

               After landing at some ball fields, the President and
              First Lady got into their limousine for the motorcade to
              Light of the World Catholic Church. The Clinton's
              began their visit by meeting with the families of those
              who died in the shootings. They moved along separate
              tables where the families gathered, meeting 75 people
              in all. The father of Richard Castaldo was there.
              Richard was wounded, but survived. 

              The Clintons then traveled to Dakota Ridge High
               School where they met with Columbine students
               and teachers. The students greeted them with cheers
               and chanted "We are Columbine". The President
               asked the students to chant that again before he
               spoke. The President shared stories of his own
               grieving and loss with the students. 

                                        Sean Graves and
              Patrick Ireland were taken from Craig Hospital to
              Dakota Ridge so they could see the President. 

              The President and First Lady both left Denver on
              different planes. The President will return to
              Washington, the First Lady is staying in the west.
              She will be visiting Mesa Verde National Park in
              Southwestern Colorado on Saturday. 


Columbine Yearbooks Carry Big Price Tag

              Offers of up to $5,000 have been made for a single copy of the Columbine High
              School 1999 yearbook in the aftermath of the April 20th shootings that claimed 15

              The yearbooks originally sold for $45. Jim Herbertson, Denver representative for Herff
              Jones Yearbooks Inc.'s, said he was offered $5,000 by a national TV network two
              weeks before the books were given to students. He declined that offer, and gave his
              two copies to the school.

              There are also rumors among Columbine students that some have been offered
              $10,000 or more by newspapers, TV shows and tabloids. Eric Friesen, Columbine's
              English teacher and the yearbook coordinator, said his voice mail is filled with requests
              for copies of the book.

              The yearbook has pictures of the 1,960 CHS students including seniors Eric Harris and
              Dylan Klebold. 


Columbine Investigation
Update May 4th 1999

Sheriff John Stone made some comments on NBC's Today Show this morning that
               caught some of his own investigators off guard.

               Stone told Dan Abrams about the possiblity of more suspects in the Columbine case,
               and all but called a prominent witness in the case a suspect. Stone said, "I don't
               believe that they acted alone. I never have believed they acted alone...I think the
               evidence will pan out that there is more. More people involved. I'm convinced there
               are more people involved."

               Stone then went on to say that student Brooks Brown was being looked at as a
               suspect. Our sources in the current investigation say Brooks Brown is not a suspect.
               Brown has made no secret of having a friendly relationship with Eric Harris and Dylan
               Klebold, but has denied knowing what the two gunmen were planning. The Brown
               reported Eric Harris to authorities a year ago, saying he and Dylan Klebold were
               building and detonating pipe bombs. 

              The parents of Brown say the Sheriff Stone is looking for a "scapegoat" in calling their
               sone a possible suspect. "The FBI says he's not a suspect. Sheriff Stone in his
               unprofessional remarks has said he possibly might be...I think he should be ashamed
               of himself. Brooks came forward with this information to begin with. He took it to the
               police. We risked Brooks' life taking it to the police."

               This afternoon, 9News reporter Carla Alston talked to Steve Davis, a spokesman for
               the sheriff's office. He downplayed the Sheriff's comments by saying, "I spoke with
               our investigators and right now they're very reluctant to lable anybody as a suspect...I
               have no idea, but to call him a suspect would be a little premature or maybe even
               inaccurate at this point."

               Jefferson County investigators still have many people to interview before they can
               reach conclusions about a wider conspiracy.

The memorials to the shooting victims are being removed in Clement Park.  The
               Colorado Historical Society says the permanent memorial could be something as
               simple as a flower garden. There will be several meetings to discuss the possibilities.

               The plan is to return the park back to normal and preserve and catalog the momentos
               for use in a permanent memorial.

               The flowers that are still fresh will be made into potpourri that will be divided and
               given to the Columbine students. The ones that are wilted and old will be turned into
               mulch to fertilize the park.

               Mark Manes, the man who sold a semiautomatic handgun to Eric
               Harris and Dylan Klebold went shooting with them in the woods
               a month before the tragedy, Manes' lawyer Robert Ransome said

               Manes, 22, admitted to selling the semiautomatic TEC DC-9 to
               one of the teenagers, but did not know it would be used in the
              April 20th attack. 

               Manes is a former Columbine student who was booked Monday on suspicion of
               providing a handgun to a minor. Harris and Klebold used a TEC DC-9 purchased
               from Manes in late February and three guns - two shotguns and a rifle - that had been
               legally purchased by Klebold's girlfriend, Robyn Anderson. 

               Under Colorado law, an 18-year-old without a felony record can furnish minors with
               rifles and shotguns.

               Investigators are performing ballistics tests to determine which weapons fired the fatal
               shots. Manes could face more serious charges if the TEC DC-9 was used to kill

               The school district announced Monday three of the gunmen's closest friends were
               advised to finish the school year elsewhere.  The district said it will provide assistance
               for those students to receive home-schooling.


Columbine Investigation


Officials are confirming that a sheriff's deputy stationed at Columbine High School had
               been watching Eric Harris for about a year before the massacre last week.  Neil
               Gardner received a report back in March 1998 saying Harris was detonating pipe
               bombs and talking about mass murder.  That report was based on information filed
               with the sheriff's office by Columbine parent Randy Brown and included printouts of
               warnings Harris posted on the Internet, saying that he was ready to kill.  Jeffco
               investigator Lt. John Kiekbusch said, "we had a family that desired to remain
               anonymous. They did not want to create more problems for their child and given those
               parameters, our investigators still took this to a reasonable conclusion." Gardner
               talked to NBC's Dateline and says there were other students who concerned him
               more than Eric Harris. 

              Since the Columbine shootings there have been a rash of "copy cat" bomb threats
               throughout the metro area.  One such threat happend at Pomona High School earlier
               this week.  Today Arvada police arrested 34 year old Rae Holt for phoning in that
               threat, but said she had no connection with the Columbine shootings.

               Jefferson County Commissioner Pat Holloway says the cost of responding to last
               week's fatal shootings at Columbine has already reached the million dollar mark, and
               it's climbing steadily.  Holloway says that figure doesn't include 100-thousand dollars
               in overtime from the sheriff's office.


Message Board

Do you want to share your comments on this issue? If so PLEASE click the Link below to either view the comments or leave your own comments:

Click HERE to READ others comments
Click HERE to LEAVE your own comments


Columbine Investigation Update

               Jefferson County Sheriff's investigators have looked at a surveillance tape obtained
               from a Colorado Springs gun shop.  Police say it appears that none of the people on
               the tape are Dylan Klebold or Eric Harris.  Gun shop owner Mel Bernstein told police
               that five teenagers wearing black trench coats came into the store five weeks ago
               looking to purchase M-60 and MP-5 guns.  Bernstein says he immediately recognized
               Eric Harris following last week's attack.  Bernstein said the group left in a 1980's
               model grey sedan matching the description of Harris' car. 

               Also today police reported they've found more than 50 explosive devices throughout
               the school.  Bomb technicians and lab specialists are still going through each room,
               desk, and backpack to determine if there are more bombs.  Jeffco sheriff spokesman
               Steve Davis says he thinks it'll be early next week before they determine the building is
               safe from explosives.

               Police say they have determined Dyland Klebold's girlfriend, 18 year old Robyn
               Anderson, bought two of the weapons used in the attack, but reiterated she is not a
               suspect in the killings.  Steve Davis says she's been cooperative throughout
               questioning and is not in custody.  Reporters asked about potential charges Anderson
               could face.  Davis said it was legal for her to buy the two shotguns, but it's illegal for a
               minor to be in the "posession" of guns.  He went on to say the DA's office must
               determine how much she knew, if anything, about Klebold and Harris' plans.  He said
               the questions they have to resolve are:  did she knowingly supply Klebold and Harris
               with the guns, did she have any idea the guns might be used in a crime, and did she
               help the gunmen in any fashion last Tuesday?  The answers to those questions would
               determine the severity of charges, if any.

               There were three more funerals for victims of the shooting today.  At St. Francis
               Cabrini Catholic Church, 1800 people attended the funeral today for 16-year old
               Matthew Kechter.  He was a football player who friends say was always kind and
               treated others with respect.  Many of those friends, some student-athletes themselves,
               spoke at the service.  Denver Archbishop Charles Chaput was among those at the

               16-year old Kyle Velasquez was called a gentle giant by his friends and neighbors. 
               About 800 people, including Governor Gill Owens attended his memorial at St. James
               Presbyterian Church this morning.  A military honor guard was provided because Kyle
               always had an interest, an infatuation with the military.  Kyle was a special needs
               student, someone that neighbors say everyone knew and loved. 

               This afternoon, the funeral for Corey DePooter was held at Trinity Christian Center. 
               DePooter was 16 years old, and an avid fisherman. Teachers and the principal of
               Leawood Elementary, where Corey attended, spoke at the service.  Columbine High
               School principal Frank DeAngelis was there as well.  Corey's best friend described
               him simply as the kind of guy that people liked to be around.


"Friend of Mine" CD 

The song written and performed at the Memorial Observance Sunday by brothers
        Jonathan and Stephen Cohen, students at Columbine High School, is available on CD for
         Make the check payable to “Friend of Mine – Columbine”.

         Mail to: 
         Friend of Mine
         P.O. Box 3099
         Littleton, CO 80161-3099



         Today, students struggled to understand the tragedy.  Crystal Woodman, a junior
         who was in the library when the gunmen burst in, said this morning she can't get
         their voices out of her head.

         "They were just, like, they thought it was funny." " "They were just, like `Who's
         next? Who's ready to die?' They were just, like, `We've waited to do this our
         whole lives.' And every time they'd shoot someone, they'd holler, like it was, like,

         Most of the bodies were found in the library. The attackers marched in with guns
         and pipe bombs, demanding that "all jocks stand up. We're going to kill every one
         of you," student Aaron Cohn said.  A gunman looked under a desk in the library
         and said, "Peek-a-boo," then fired, Cohn said. Anyone who cried or moaned was
         shot again. One girl begged for her life, but a gunshot ended her cries.

         Cohn said one killer put a pistol to his head but did not shoot him. Instead, he said,
         the shooter turned his attention to a black student, saying, "I hate niggers." Cohn
         heard three shots but couldn't see what happened.

         Meantime, frantic parents awaited word of
         their children, watching as busloads of
         tearful students were reunited with their
         families.  Students and Denver media
         identified the gunmen as Eric Harris and
         Dylan Klebold. The two exchanged shots
         with police and were later found dead in the
         library with self-inflicted gunshot wounds
         and bombs around their bodies. 

         "They were extremely bright, but not good students," said choir teacher Lee
         Andres. "... They disliked authority. They did not like to be told what to do."

         While the motive was unclear, several students said Harris and Klebold were
         members of a group calling itself the "Trenchcoat Mafia," outcasts who bragged
         about guns and bombs and hated blacks and Hispanics, as well as athletes.

         Police who searched Harris' home said they found bomb-making material.
         Students said the group was fascinated with World War II and the Nazis and noted
         that Tuesday was Adolf Hitler's birthday.

         The pair, wearing fatigues and ankle-length black coats, opened fire in the parking
         lot around 11:30 a.m. before entering the school cafeteria. Bullets ricocheted off
         lockers as students raced toward the exits.

         Student Nick Foss saw one of the gunmen pull a sawed-off shotgun from under his
         coat.  "Finally I started figuring out these guys shot to kill for no reason," Foss
         said. The gunman "didn't say anything. When he looked at me, the guy's eyes
         were just dead."

         The killers fired as they walked into the cafeteria and continued shooting as they
         moved upstairs into the library. Cohn said he heard one girl begging for her life
         and then a bang. "They were laughing after they shot. It was like they were
         having the time of their life," he said.


Investigators Question Suspect's Acquaintance

               Today Jefferson county sheriff's investigators questioned an 18 year old girl in
               connection with the Columbine shootings.  Police say they're trying to determine if a
               gun purchased by the woman might have been used in last week's killings.  No
               charges have been filed against the woman, and police say she is not a suspect.

               The sheriff's department also reported Monday that toxicology tests on suspects Eric
               Harris and Dylan Klebold have come back negative.  The sheriff's office has
               established a tipline for people to call if they have information about the tragedy.   That
               number is 303-271-8862.  People are encouraged to call the tipline if they have any

              Funerals were held Monday for three students and Dave Sanders, the one teacher
               killed Tuesday.  It took the sanctuary and two overflow rooms at the Trinity Christian
               Center to hold the 2,500 students, teachers, and residents in attendance.  In seperate
               services, mourners remembered Cassie Bernall, the 17-year-old girl who professed
               her love of God just before she was shot, Lauren Townsend, an 18-year-old honor
               student and captain of the girls' varsity volleyball team, and Daniel Rohrbough, the
               15-year-old boy shot while holding an exit door open for fleeing students.

               At Sanders funeral, students past and present walked to the front of the chapel and
               stood over his dark blue casket, which was covered in a large flower arrangement, to
               remember him as a teacher, coach, friend and hero.  Witnesses have said Sanders
               shouted warnings to students and directed them to safety during the shootings.


School to Resume Next Thursday

               Columbine High students and teachers will resume classes next Thursday.  Jeffco
               superintendent Jane Hammond announced Friday the students will finish the school
               year at Chatfield High School.  Hammand says Chatfield students will attend school
               the first half of the day and Columbine students will attend the second half.  She
               reiterated the district's goal of keeping the faculty and students together.  Columbine
               athletics, music and theatrical events will go on as scheduled in an effort to make the
               transition as smooth as possible.  Teachers and faculty will start at Chatfield on
               Tuesday to begin coordinating efforts with the Chatfield staff.

               Hammond also spoke of changes to enhance safety at all Jefferson county schools.
               The disctrict will reduce the number of school entrances and provide additional
               personnel at each entrance.  When questioned about the use of metal detectors,
               Hammond said the district had not made a decision about their use.  She also says the
               district is still evaluating the extent of damage in the school and doesn't know when
               Columbine will reopen.

               Columbine principal Frank DeAngelis spoke publicly for the first time.  He told
               reporters how proud he is of the Columbine family and how they've come together to
               help one another.  He spoke about Dave Sanders who gave his life to help others
               Tuesday morning.  He said Sanders ran out of a teachers lounge and pulled several
               kids to safety before running upstairs to warn others.  He said Sanders would
               probably still be alive if he stayed in the lounge.

               DeAngelis also said he had never heard of the "Trench Coat Mafia" until he heard it in
               news reports.


Agent says bombs found in kitchen poorly designed

               A federal agent says a poor design, or possibly an error by two young gunmen,
               probably kept a bomb found in the kitchen at Columbine High School from exploding.

               Larry Bettendorf of the A-T-F says the propane tank was rigged with a can of
               gasoline and an egg timer. He says the bomb was poorly designed and that may be
               why it never exploded. Or he said gunmen Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold may not
               have had time to set the timer.  Bettendorf says the big question for now is how the
               gunmen got such a big bomb into the school.

               Investigators say they are now focusing on whether Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold
               had help either in planning the attack or smuggling the weapons and explosives into the


The Latest News

                                                  The governor toured Columbine High
                                                  School today and emerged saying
                                                  investigators were all but certain that
                                                  the two gunmen had help from others.
                                                  Police said security cameras may
                                                  provide crucial evidence of a

                                                  "There are backpacks with bombs in
                                                  there everywhere," Gov. Bill Owens
               said. "The officers in there are convinced there had to be more people involved.
               There's just too much stuff in there."

               Time-lapse security cameras mounted throughout the school do not run continuously.
               and each tape goes back about a week, said sheriff's Lt. John Kiekbusch. He said
               authorities had not yet reviewed the tapes and did not know if the cameras were
               running during the shooting.

               "Ideally they would show the movement and also the actual placement perhaps of
               some of the explosive devices, prior to the incident," Kiekbusch said. "If that's the
               case we have got just very important evidence."

               Officials returned to campus today to continue scouring for hidden explosives a day
               after the discovery of a powerful bomb made from a 20-pound propane tank
               heightened suspicions that Eric Harris, 18, and Dylan Klebold, 17, intended to destroy
               the school, and could have had help in assembling their arsenal.  "They may have had
               confederates," said sheriff's Sgt. Jim Parr.

               Also today, President Clinton announced $1.5 million in federal aid to help victims pay
               for funerals, medical expenses, lost wages and counseling. In Littleton, students stayed
               away, frightened and mourning.

               A total of 15 people, including gunmen Harris and Klebold, died in Tuesday's attack.
               Fourteen students remained hospitalized, including eight in critical or serious condition.

               Explosives expert Sid Woodcock said propane explosives of the type found are "fairly
               sophisticated." Just one bomb "probably would have destroyed a good part of the
               school," he said. "These subjects were not only on a killing rampage," said Jefferson
               County Sheriff John Stone. "They were going to burn the school up."

               Aside from the large bomb, searches have turned up more than 30 homemade
               explosives, including pipe bombs, crude hand grenades. More may still remain hidden,
               authorities said. Two sawed-off shotguns, one 9mm semi-automatic rifle and one
               semi-automatic handgun also have been found.

               Meanwhile, documents said court-ordered evaluations of the suspects, compiled
               earlier this year, called Harris "a bright young man who is likely to succeed in life" and
               found Klebold had "a great deal of potential."

                Columbine will be closed indefinitely. Other
               schools in the district reopened Thursday to
               tight security. At rival Chatfield High School,
               jittery staff and students walked past armed
               guards to enter as classes reconvened. At
               one point, two bomb squad trucks sped to
               the school after an unattended backpack
               was found. Students needed parental
               permission to leave.

               "You can't even go to the bathroom without permission, and then they time you,"
               lamented Holly Bernside, 15. Jefferson County school administrators began trying to
               return normalcy to Columbine students' lives by scouting for alternative class sites and
               planning events like graduation.

               "The students are saying, `We want to be back together. We want to be in school.
               We want to be with our teachers,"' said Superintendent Jane Hammond. Hammond
               said students will return to the same school building next fall.

               The Jefferson County Court reports on Klebold and Harris, written less than three
               months ago, were compiled by an officer assessing their future after they were caught
               breaking into a van last year.

               Klebold and Harris, members of the disaffected, brooding "Trenchcoat Mafia" at
               Columbine High, finished a juvenile court program successfully in February, clearing
               their records. The county district court released copies of the documents, but blacked
               out the officer's name.

               Investigators were questioning classmates and others who knew the gunmen. Two
               fellow members of the Trenchcoat Mafia apologized to mourners on Wednesday.

               "There was no sign they would do this," sobbed Nicole Makham. "We would just like
               to say that we're sorry for what they did." On the Columbine grounds Thursday, there
               was some hint of the crisis lifting. Teachers trickled in to retrieve their cars; an
               investigator rescued 30 baby chicks and a lizard from a science lab.

                A mile away, Attorney General Janet Reno
                commiserated with relatives and community leaders as
                family members prepared for a weekend of memorials.
                "This is not something that is dealt with in a day or a
                week or a month," Reno said. "This, as we have learned
                 from Oklahoma City and other tragedies, is something
                 that must be dealt with over time, and we are in this for
                 the long haul."

               In other shooting-related developments:
               -- Student Bree Pasquale said her life was spared when gunman Harris's nose was
               bloodied by a ricocheting shotgun shell. Harris had put a gun to her head and told her
               she was next when the injury distracted him, she told NBC's "Today" show this

               --Investigators confirmed they had found a note at one suspect's home but refused to
               discuss its contents.

               --The sheriff's office said it planned to release tapes of some 911 calls today.

               --Classmates said Klebold and Harris made several class-project videos last fall
               foreshadowing their spasm of violence. In one, "they had their friends pretend to be
               the jocks, and they pretended to be the gunmen shooting them," high school junior
               Chris Reilly told the Denver Rocky Mountain News.

               School officials said they hadn't yet determined whether such a video was made.

               --Police defended their initial response to the school massacre. They insisted they
               were rescuing students within minutes of the first 911 call but had to move cautiously
               because of the danger of bombs and bullets.

               --The FBI sent a subpoena to America Online, seeking information on Web sites and
               member profiles thought to belong to Harris or Klebold.



What Happened

 Around 11:30am (MST) a 9-1-1 call
  came into Jefferson County sheriff's
office reporting numerous gunshots at
 Columbine High School. Sheriff's
 deputies arrived a few minutes later and
 heard gunshots and explosions coming
 from inside the school. They also saw a
 number of small fires burning inside.
 Students tell 9NEWS two people came
 into the school wearing long, black

               trench coats and face masks. They were carrying shotguns, grenades and pipe bombs.
               The sheriff says the dead suspects still had a number of small explosives on their
               bodies and police found more explosives at own of their homes.

               Several of the students in the cafeteria heard a blast when someone came running in
               yelling "get down." Shortly thereafter the gunmen came into the
               cafeteria and started shooting. Many of the students were able
               to get out and run to other parts of the school. The latest
               information is that approximately 20 people have been
               transported to area hospitals. The injured are at Swedish
               Medical Center, Denver Health Medical Center, Littleton
               Porter Hospital, St. Anthony Central and Lutheran Hospital.


If you would like to add a letter, poem, or anything here.
Please leave it on the MESSAGEBOARD. Or send it 
to me HERE.

Sorry isn't enough to say. Sorrow isn't enough to show. Sadness isn't adequate a feeling to
express how much this has had an effect on everyone. Look to the Lord for the answers you
seek. Accept that you may never know all of them. Look for only a new day to begin another
path of love and acceptance for each other and yourselves. Love in Christ, Kathy
Name: Kathy Parrish
Email: [email protected]

Hello My thoughts this day are for You and all of You . Terrible things come into Our lives at
times and We may not understand or reason why . Yours is as is Mine sarrow and hurt for the
Victims and Families and those Who struggled through this Nightmare to try to make sense
of it all . Its obvious that the Stufents at Columbine are Great People anare reaching out in
support of each other and the effort to rebuild Their svhool and carry on in the Memory od
Those who were hurt and lost in this Nightmare . I applaud You each and everyone in this
dedication to Your fallen Classmates and Teacher . I Pray for Your difficult and dedicated
efforts to re start Columbine and make it a better and safer and stronger union than ever in
Memory of Those lost in Tragedy . I Hope this message is recieved by all the Columbine
Students, Faculty, Families, and Those recovering at this date as I do not know how to reach
Them personally . May the Good Lord be with You each and every one and lift You out of this
and make You strong to carry on and rebuild Columbine and Your lives with Dedication and
spirit in makeing great improvements in the future to come for eac and everyone of You . God
Bless Your Future Mike Whicker [email protected]
Name: Mike Whicker
Email:  [email protected]

First of all, I'd like to say, that my heart goes out to you all at Columbine High! And I respect you all for being so
strong. Next, I'd like to give my own opinion about what happened. I'd like to say that I really think it's wrong to
say that things like the internet, TV, video games, and music (Marylin Manson), are the things to blame these boys
actions on. What it all comes down to, is that those two were old enough to know from right and wrong! They were
old enough to know that things like that are for fun and enjoyment. Not things to copy! They were 17 and 18 years
old. They were adults! People who were old enough to make their own decisions! Yes, I feel the parents should
 have known something, but kids do hide things well when they want to! I just think that they should only blame
 those boys' actions on them! I have to say, that I do admire those who forgave them, but then again, it's their fault
 that your loved ones are gone! It's not like this was an accident. This was planned out and done intentionally! That
 makes the whole thing worse!
Name: Heather Hanna
Email: [email protected]

My thoughts and prayers are with all of you at Columbine High School.
Name: amy reedy 
Email: [email protected]

let's hope and pray for these fallen angels!
Name: chris sawicki 
Email: [email protected]

I am happy to see that there are people out there making memorials to the Columbine students.
Name: Michelle Hutton 
Email: [email protected]

Back to top


All stories some pictures: (9NEWS)
Images: (Columbine Memorial Site)
Images: (
Backgroud: (Click Here)

All this happened on April 20th 1999

Click Here to go to my main page.


[Previous] [Random] [List] [Next]

[Join The Columbine High School Webring]