Simple Shunt Solar Controller SSSC1A
Download Complete Information Package (800k zipfile)
- Simple Solar Panel to Battery Charge Controller
- Simple, Low Parts Count
- Small, Lightweight
- High Current Capacity HexFET MOSFET switch shunts panel power when battery is full
- Efficient while Charging (one Schottky diode drop)
- Current Rating up to about 7 amps (depends on heatsink)
- Easy to Homebrew
- Generate no Radio Frequency Interference (RFI)
- Adjustable Voltage Charge Cutoff (fixed hysteresis)
- No Moving Parts
- PCB Available from www.expresspcb.com (pcb layout file in this pkg)
- Parts available from www.digikey.com
- Low cost enclosure - a length of PVC pipe
Solar Controller Information Package above Includes:
If you decide to build some of these, drop me a line and let me know how it
works out. Please include 'SSSC1A' in the subject line.
I have considered making kits available, is there any interest?
- Parts List
- PCB Layout (ready for online ordering)
- Assembly Photos and Instructions
I'm working on a couple of more sophisticated designs. The most interesting
is a model designed to use the excellent Anderson Powerpole connectors.
Since these connectors
allow input and output to be interchanged (but maintain proper polarity), this
design is symmetrical and the input and output are interchangeable.
Additionally, it is designed to handle being connected to the solar panel
without being connected to the battery. Thus it can be mounted on the back of
a portable solar panel. Most designs I have reviewed (and many commercial
products) are not intended for this configuration. They depend on the battery
and with only power from the panel they can be damaged. If there is any
interest in this new design, drop me a line with 'MSC2' included in the subject
line. This may lead to a kit.
by Alan Biocca, WB6ZQZ
Back to Home Page
You are visitor number
You may email author Alan Biocca via wb6zqz at qsl.net