RE: [SI-LIST] : Crosshatched ground planes

From: Mark Gill ([email protected])
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 03:42:19 PDT

Martyn -

I saw something along these lines (but not completely crosshatched) in a
paper from Design Supercon96 by Henri Merkelo and Dimitri Grabbe. If I
recall correctly, methodically modifying the return plane with apertures
increases the inductance and decreases the capacitance (should be viewed as
per unit length changes, and relative to the rise time for the signal at
hand), thus increasing Zo relative to the impedance of the transmission line
in its unmodified state. I'm not sure if it is exactly what your are
looking for, but the name of the paper was "Advances in High Speed Signal
Management Techniques and Technologies". There may have been updates since
that time, but I am not specifically aware of any.

Regards,

Mark Gill, P.E.
EMC/Safety/NEBS Design
Nortel Networks - RTP, NC, USA