Re: [SI-LIST] : Trace Impedance Selection

Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 10:35:24 PDT

In a message dated 5/10/00 9:57:38 AM Pacific Daylight Time, writes:

<< This is an interesting experiment. As others have pointed out, lower
 lines will have a higher current if the voltage is the same. Did you keep
 voltage or the current constant when you switched impedances?

Hi, Mary:

  The voltage was held constant. For easy recall, you were referring to the
following paragraph.

"Although I do not know (nor does the EMCAD1 literature indicate) the
 boundaries within which their software/equations apply, I agree with you. My
tests on a demonstration board with 50 ohm and 100 ohm microstrip traces
(verified by HP TDR equipment) indicated field increases of 8-9 dB for the
100 ohm line relative to the 50 ohm line. This result is between the 6 dB
and 12 dB boundaries of our discussion. Isn't that always the way it is?"

Michael L. Conn
Owner/Principal Consultant
Mikon Consulting

        *** Serving Your Needs with Technical Excellence ***