RE: [SI-LIST] : Physcially-small far-end LVDS terminations?

From: Marc Humphreys ([email protected])
Date: Fri Dec 17 1999 - 14:36:45 PST

My simulation show something quite different.
The 100 ohm far end termination between the two differntial input
is required at the far end of the line to generate the differential
voltage at the receiver. The LVDS drivers are typically 2 to 4ma
current sources, which subsequently generate the
200 to 400 mv voltage swings at the receiver when the current flows
out one side through the resistor and back thru the other side. No
terminator
and my _P and _N signals stay pretty static at ~ 0.9v and 1.5vrespectively.

Jim, maybe the spice model for your using receiver has a built in 100 ohm
terminator.

There are a number of ways to generate the required input
voltages at the input of an LVDS receiver, hence the reason for
asking the vendor, is this a true LVDS implementation. God knows there all
kinds of ways of taking ECL, PECL and CML etc. signals and massaging them
to meet the LVDS specs but its a far cry from the simplicity of a low
current source
single, a 100ohm diff pair set of traces, and a single far-end terminator,
discrete or
on chip terminator.

My 2 cents.

Marc